ATX Community

Grrrr ATX is not approved for NC this year!

Margaret CPA in OH

What a revoltin' development this is!  I just got a rejection for a guy leaving for 6 months for England and now he has to paper file.  I've efiled his returns to NC for several years.  Why wouldn't a client (me) be notified that suddenly this super software is not approved for at least this state?  I wonder how many other states have not approved ATX.  Grrr....

• Angry 1

I posted that too quickly just responding to what NC DOR rep told me.  I kept pursuing the KB which referenced something from TaxWise in 2015 but decided to look further into it.  Although the field for standard deduction had 8750 in it, I didn't check the box at the top of the page to take the standard deduction - of 8750 - which populated that  field.  Then went through.  Why the hoops?  Tech support said something couldn't be fixed about it.  At least it's done and I got to vent a bit although needlessly. 

• Like 4

This is the time of year where the little bothersome tick in the software becomes a full blown outrage. Why is it that on every freakin return I have to navigate through 4 clicks to check that one box that every paid preparer in his right mind would check? Why is it not the freakin default to have it checked?????????

• Like 4

And now the box whether in the office or remotely prepared.  What about clients that come into the office to drop off stuff but are not present when returns are prepared?  Where's that box? 

And to efile Ohio, there is now a User Consent box: "By using a computer system and software to prepare and transmit my client's return electronically, I consent to the disclosure of all information pertaining to my use of the system and software to create my client's return and to the electronic transmission of my client's tax return to the Ohio Department of Taxation, as applicable by law." ARRRGGGGHHH

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Margaret CPA in OH said:

And now the box whether in the office or remotely prepared.  What about clients that come into the office to drop off stuff but are not present when returns are prepared?  Where's that box? 

And to efile Ohio, there is now a User Consent box: "By using a computer system and software to prepare and transmit my client's return electronically, I consent to the disclosure of all information pertaining to my use of the system and software to create my client's return and to the electronic transmission of my client's tax return to the Ohio Department of Taxation, as applicable by law." ARRRGGGGHHH

Yep, I noticed that message too, early on in the season because it is a new message for Delaware this year.   For the Drake users, the program apparently assumes we consent and doesn't require anything like check boxes or sign anything, but it is including it in the preparers "notes" page of each return.

• Like 2

Just to add, for NC Drake automatically selects either the standard deduction or itemizing for NC based on the input in the program. Because I know the standard deduction amounts, all I have to do is look at the page 2 of the return to see which deduction was selected. Of course, there is an override if one would be foolish enough to take the itemized deduction when standard is higher.

Although there are many hoops and in Drake you can write macros to automatically fill in some common areas, it is still better than paper, pencil. Just my 2 cents worth.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Margaret CPA in OH said:

I modified the master to check that box.  And a bunch of others.  What bugs me are the increasing number of input sheets that won't let you create links, so every time Schedule C changes, you have to remember to change the Ohio Bus form, and the RITA 37 tax form.  My kludge there is to mark them as estimates, so if I forget, at least I get an error on my final check.  But I shouldn't have to enter Schedule C profit anywhere else--that's what I pay ATX to do.

• Like 2

I just haven't gotten around to changing the master for that box yet.  I've changed several other things though.  And yes, RITA is a royal pain in the RITA anyway and it irks me that it costs extra to efile it.  Fortunately the few folks I have just take it to the local office where they prepare it for free.  I encourage that because I really don't like it.