ATX Community

Who will be our star - week of 3/17 - 3/23/18

jklcpa

On 3/18/2018 at 3:57 PM, jklcpa said:

Twinkle, twinkle, our next star,
How I wonder who you are!

It's week #5 and you all know the routine by now.  Who will have the best story this week?

5aaed22e216a3_golden-star-with-ribbon(2).jpg.8a837609b4ea5725a8d507c29fedd33a.jpg

How do I get everyone to like this so jklcpa wins

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Bart said:

How do I get everyone to like this so jklcpa wins

Oh no. Thanks for thinking of me but it would feel wrong to give myself a star, besides I haven't had any great stories or done anything super duper this week to qualify.  

well let's try this one - so boyfriend brings in girlfriend - who is mfs! yep - still married but has a child so I say how long have you been separated - you could be H/H -

so she gets big $$$ back now. But on $5400 does not need child for dependent.

So why not give to non-custodial parent? I mean he has visitation rights - albeit supervised.. Oh no boyfriend!! says!! No way! and now her family wants to know why child's name is not on her taxes as dependent! why are you showing them or even telling them?! stay out of this.. so I am getting nasty emails and I finally say - come in on Sat and I will talk with her. Well the boyfriend can Bring her in after work at 2 - we are open to 12 - fine.

In the meantime, I can amend the  last 2 years! as my dad has been doing them!!

so I go to amend and she has dependent credit on $1,200  of income one year- how did that get thru!! I can't even override.. and H/H on both and gets $1200 on one year and $100 on other.

But again no dependent credit -

so let the non-custodial parent have...

So they come in with this cute baby girl, 4 months old - did I mention she is still married and in the paperwork - is the boyfriends paternity - 99% his... hhmmm

and they are going to court soon to get child support and they are engaged and getting married...  - not divorced yet!

So I suggested they let non-custodial parent have 8332 and get the $1,000 and it can go against child support and she will get some $$ from him - otherwise he is always paying in - (do not ask how I know that ) - good idea!

I mail in the amends, ready to e-file - would have already but I needed to put in banking info and she emails today  - mind you this was Sat and it is now Tues - STOP! add dependent ,. LAWYER says no, I get to claim child, bad idea to let him have a chance to get $$$ to pay off child support - WTH!!

ok, done and the non-custodial dad will always owe in and be in arrears - who won here?

And Sat as my hubby was listening as I was afraid of a hostile session - hubby had said no marriage counseling but they were going off on him - I had to say, remember you did like him at one time and he is the dad...

makes me wonder who was the issue...

I am getting too old for this! You have issues - go elsewhere

• Like 5

OK, I am going to give this another shot.   This is my own tax return.   This is why there are people trying to secede from California and create the 51st state - Jefferson.

So, I changed jobs in 2017.   CA imposes State Disability Insurance tax on workers in CA.   It phases out when your income reaches a certain level.   When you change jobs like I did, it is possible to have paid in too much, just like SS tax.   I had excess SDI withheld this year.   So we file our taxes like every other year, and set it up for direct deposit.   We got our federal refund a couple weeks ago, but not the state.   We had just about got to the point that we were going to start looking up where our refund is when the letter comes in the mail today from the FTB.  They held my return and are going to mail my refund in a check because they found an error.   Me!  An error!  I don't think so!  Especially not on MY RETURN!

It turns out that the state of CA does not round when they match SDI withheld.   Each of my W2's were xxx dollars and just over 50 cents on the SDI withholding, so ATX rounded it up.   CA held up my return because they don't round up, they add the two together and rounded, and the amount I claimed for SDI was off by $1.   I am sure the dumbasses in Sacramento feel really good about how they spent more on the letter, and postage, and the postage they are going to spend to mail my refund check, to save the overburdened taxpayers of CA $1.

I kid you not.   This is how stupid these guys are. 

Judy, I am counting on you to get me the votes for this post.   I want my star!  Vote for me...Vote for ME...VOTE FOR ME!!!!!!!

Tom
Modesto, CA

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

• jklcpa unpinned this topic