ATX Community

Tax Software Question

Roberts

Does any software do an automatic check box of the 3rd party approval to talk to the IRS on both the federal and state returns?

Drives me nuts I have to go through steps to mark those check boxes on EVERY return when it should be a blanket check box. Does the IRS make us do that check box yearly and prevent the software company from making that an auto feature?

Anyone know?

I don't do enough with Drake to learn macros. I do mostly 1041's with Drake and it drives me nuts that the fiduciary info didn't roll forward on 3rd party authorization and signing the return. Since I entered it last year, I shouldn't have to re-enter their name and SSN again this year.

I don't have a macro set up and that box is checked on all of my Drake returns.  There might be an option in the setup that is allowing it to check them automatically, and those settings are rolling forward each year. It's been so long I don't remember, so when I get back to my desktop I'll check it out.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jklcpa said:

I don't have a macro set up and that box is checked on all of my Drake returns.  There might be an option in the setup that is allowing it to check them automatically, and those settings are rolling forward each year. It's been so long I don't remember, so when I get back to my desktop I'll check it out.

thank you - I'll look for that.

9 minutes ago, Roberts said:

thank you - I'll look for that.

I found it for Drake.  To set globally - from the menu, choose Setup>Options, then the tab for "Optional Items on Return"  At the right side, there's a box with drop down choices with Preparer 1, 2, etc.  Click "OK" to save.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jklcpa said:

I found it for Drake.  To set globally - from the menu, choose Setup>Options, then the tab for "Optional Items on Return"  At the right side, there's a box with drop down choices with Preparer 1, 2, etc.  Click "OK" to save.

Thanks - Google helped me. I'd have never found that. Over the next 2 years I'll likely be transitioning all these Drake clients to my other software.

My software doesn't auto check the state but it does bring over all the 1041 data.

19 hours ago, Yardley CPA said:

Roberts...what program are you transitioning to?

I use OLTPRO for my few clients. The estate attorney's for whom I do taxes have dictated I use Drake for their clients and now seem to be transitioning to a new business model and don't care.

Drake is definitely superior to OltPro. Been there with OltPro and am sorry I ever did. Drake will cost a bit more but it is more than worth it. If you only have a few clients,  check with Drake to see if there are PPR options or some other that would not cost you the full price. Which ever way you choose to go, purchase Drake before May 31 so you get the best discount.

• Like 1

I would never use the auto check feature to tell IRS they can talk to me about the return.  First, I hear they don't honor that box and want a 2484 anyway.  Second, some of those clients I'd prefer THEY talk to IRS.  Let them explain their expenses.  Although I've asked them if they have all the required receipts, log books, records, etc., I sometimes wonder.....  Most clients I do check the box, but there are others....

• Like 1