ATX Community

Not entitle to subsidy right?

Tax Prep by Deb

I have a family that I prepare all members of the families tax returns.  Mom and dad went to market place to get insurance and had a family policy of 4 on it.  The problem is one of the kids is not a dependent on their return and in addition works for a company that provides health insurance for him.  Am I wrong in saying that because he already has coverage that he is not entitled to the subsidy for the portion of his policy under his parents of which he not a dependent?

I think you are correct.... but ....this is where it gets murky for me.  

If (BIG IF) the son is under 26 and the coverage offered by the son's employer is not affordable, then I think the parents have the "right" to put him on their policy.   But then I think his income needs to be included in the PTC calculation.   How does that play with him not being on the return?   Not sure.  Like I said, it is murky.

Just like a child who is graduating college this year, but was not a full time student for the spring semester because he only needed two classes to graduate.   So he was not a full time student for the parents to claim on the tax return, but they want to put him on the insurance plan until he graduates, but they qualify for the subsidy and they don't have a clue how much junior, who is technically their dependent, will make when he graduates and gets a job, if he gets a job, and if that job offers coverage.   Because it is a full year calculation, I don't have a clue how to answer that client.

I bet this does not help a bit....sorry.

Tom
Modesto, CA

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BulldogTom said:

I think you are correct.... but ....this is where it gets murky for me.  

If (BIG IF) the son is under 26 and the coverage offered by the son's employer is not affordable, then I think the parents have the "right" to put him on their policy.   But then I think his income needs to be included in the PTC calculation.   How does that play with him not being on the return?   Not sure.  Like I said, it is murky.

Just like a child who is graduating college this year, but was not a full time student for the spring semester because he only needed two classes to graduate.   So he was not a full time student for the parents to claim on the tax return, but they want to put him on the insurance plan until he graduates, but they qualify for the subsidy and they don't have a clue how much junior, who is technically their dependent, will make when he graduates and gets a job, if he gets a job, and if that job offers coverage.   Because it is a full year calculation, I don't have a clue how to answer that client.

I bet this does not help a bit....sorry.

Tom
Modesto, CA

Would agree with most accept he took his employers insurance and was included on his parents with the advance credit calculated on the full policy.  So he would be ineligible for the credit.

• Like 1