ATX Community

I'm new and here to say thank you

Patti in Upstate NY

I'm actually not new - I've been reading this forum for years.  At the end of every tax season I  swear I'm  going to join and donate and tell all of you how you helped me get through the last few months.  Then I'm too tired.    

We're all tired.  So that's not a good excuse anymore.

I've done taxes for 32? years.   On my own for approximately 28 of them and the hardest part has been not having anyone to bounce things off of.   Well.  That's not entirely true.  The hardest part is the fools who walk through my door who make me wonder how they managed to find their way from their house to my office.........

My biggest challenge this year was a client who I've had since day one.   Two family rental totally gutted in a fire.  Okay.  What does this mean?  How do I report?   What is the impact?  Involuntary conversion, right?  Wait.  Is there a casualty loss?   OMG!

Oddly enough - Bulldog Tom (who beat himself up for missing something on a return) gave me the answer in a post from 2015.  Bless you Tom.   And know that last year I finished a partnership return on 4/17 and forgot to e-file it.   Yeah.  Totally forgot to hit "send."  At least the extension was filed on time and it was "only" two months late.  I still suck as a preparer and I ate the penalty.   

Tom and all of you keep me sane.  You make me laugh.   You make me feel like I'm not alone.

My sincerest appreciation

• Like 12

Welcome Patti (Alex already had his welcome wagon).   I'm here only a few years and just reading the posts I've learned or reinforced so much knowledge that I couldn't be more grateful to the veterans residing on this forum.  The humor and hearing about the trials and tribulations we all go through, that's just priceless. 

• Like 6

i second everything Patti said.  I don't post much here, but over the years I've come in for those nagging questions that a sole practitioner just needs to bounce off others.  Or to help figure out what behind-the-scenes did I miss that isn't sending info to the form I know it belongs on. 

So thank you as always to Eric for having kept us all together when ATX kicked us out one April, and to all of you for your knowledge and senses of humour!

• Like 8

Welcome, @Patti in Upstate NY and @Alex if I forgot to welcome you earlier. 

We all know *exactly* what you mean, Patti, when you talk about the fools who somehow get to your door.  

Hope to see posts from both of you going forward.  Posts slack way off come 4/18 but a few of us die-hards are still here.  We perk up again in fall, die down a bit for the holidays, then we're all back in fighting trim come January.  Poke around in the off season; someone will poke back!

• Like 7

20 hours ago, Patti in Upstate NY said:

Oddly enough - Bulldog Tom (who beat himself up for missing something on a return) gave me the answer in a post from 2015.  Bless you Tom. 

Tom and all of you keep me sane.  You make me laugh.   You make me feel like I'm not alone.

My sincerest appreciation

Thanks.   That made my day.

Tom
Modesto, CA

• Like 3

I'm about 20-25 miles north of Albany.  Very small town.  Not much here but the Hudson river which is 50' from my front door.  I am blessed to have a room with a view and since I work from home?   An office with a view.

To Tom - I'm glad I made your day.  Too many times we forget who we help and only remember those we failed.  Shame on us.

I'm about to resurrect the thread that sent me on the path I researched and led me to your post.   At the 11th hour?  I appreciate any and all advice.

Thank you for the warm welcome.   I appreciate it more than any of you will ever know.

• Like 6