ATX Community

NEXT YEAR

BLACK BART

After all the mind-churning problems that have come rolling down the pike this year, I think maybe next year I'll just go to the nearest J-H box company and apply for the lowest peon position they've got.  They tell me (maybe some of you know better) that they put the newbies on "interview mode" and let 'em ask/answer "yes" or "no" to the computer and, voila, a tax return is born.  I've always sneered at those modes since with ATX you actually have to know something about taxes to get anything of difficulty to work, but lately the easiest path seems the most attractive to me. 

While I once had a "Cadillac" program that would do everything except make breakfast, inflation pushed me into ATX and I've been stuck there ever since - I've been trying to remember who it was who posted here (pre-Obamacare) that he/she wasn't worried about the health insurance dealie coming up 'cause they'd just plug it into the computer and everything would fall into place.  That remark prompted a reply from somebody saying they'd experienced the similar "Romneycare" and while survivable, it was "no walk in the park".

Anyway, it's been an exhausting season :wacko: (just one opinion - you're welcome to yours or to pop the champagne if it suits you).

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, BLACK BART said:

I've been trying to remember who it was who posted here (pre-Obamacare) that he/she wasn't worried about the health insurance dealie coming up 'cause they'd just plug it into the computer and everything would fall into place. 

Image result for yeah right meme

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, ILLMAS said:

Are accountants/experienced tax preparers the only that get upset when someone's says "I just input the numbers and the software does everything"?  I get pretty upset if a client tells me that (just input the numbers), honest truth.

I'd like to see how that excuse would fly in the eyes of the IRS and circular 230. I get upset with that type of lame response too. Trusting the software to do its thing is not a good idea. Many programs are good. Drake is good but I still do manual calculations for verification purposes if something doesn't seem or feel right. I couldn't do that if all I did was input.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, ILLMAS said:

Are accountants/experienced tax preparers the only that get upset when someone's says "I just input the numbers and the software does everything"?  I get pretty upset if a client tells me that (just input the numbers), honest truth.

Want your invoice to go up?  Make that statement to me....  Bingo.  Higher fee.

Sure, shake your box, it knows the answer for you.

Rich

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Since the title of this thread is "NEXT YEAR", here's a suggestion.  Next year do this ->  set a cutoff date not later than Mar 20.  Anything coming in on or after that date AUTOMATICALLY goes on extension. No exceptions, no excuses, no caving in. 

If you have time to circle back to some of them before the 15th, then the extension did no harm.  If you don't get back to them for any reason (you got sick, decided to take a few days off, computer crashed, kids/spouse/pet got sick, don't like the client's attitude, whatever...), then there won't be any last day surprises.  You remain in charge and you're not subject to the whims of a flaky client or any of the other surprises that jump up at the last minute.  Your blood pressure will thank you, and you might even live longer. 

• Like 4