ATX Community

IRS extends tax-filing deadline for one day after website glitch: report

JimTaxes

The Internal Revenue Service late Tuesday extended its tax-filing deadline for one day, after a glitch knocked out the IRS website for much of the day, the Wall Street Journal reported. Acting IRS Commissioner David Kautner apologized for the outage late Tuesday. The problem was apparently a hardware failure, and not a cyberattack, officials said. Earlier in the day, Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin said those who were blocked from the IRS site would get tax extensions.

• Thanks 2

e2b67203-f143-45d3-b282-0ca0447c81da.png

Earlier this afternoon, NAEA alerted members to technical difficulties with IRS' electronic filing and online payment systems. NAEA confirmed with IRS earlier this evening that these systems are fixed and are operational again. According to the Service:

Individuals and businesses with a filing or payment due date of April 17 will now have until midnight on Wednesday, April 18. Taxpayers do not need to do anything to receive this extra time.

More details are available in IRS' news release, IR-2018-100. Should new information become available, NAEA will update the full membership.

eeb6560d-6c52-43cc-a102-e8e8235389ed.png    

• Like 2

I may post this in the efile topic but I'll ask here too...

Anyone know how are state filings impacted by the IRS extended deadline?

I submitted a few federal returns on around 9 am on 4/17.  But they didn't show as "accepted" until about 2 am on 4/18.  My state requires the Federal returns be accepted before I can efile the state.  Therefore, I couldn't file the state returns until today around 7 am. 

But now the state returns keep being rejected by the agency with the explanation that they're late and I needed to either 1) file an extension (my state doesn't have its own form and just piggybacks with the Federal Extension request) or 2) indicate on the state form if i filed a federal extension (there is no option to select "no" to filing the extension; its simply a "yes" check box).

Problem is that I submitted my returns well before the deadline and the IRS outage prevented me from filing the state returns.  Any ideas how to get out of this loop?

Thanks!

34 minutes ago, aforrest said:

I know that, Jim.

But as I stated, I efiled them this morning and they were rejected.  Twice. In spite of OH's announcement (which says I don't need to file anything extra - just file).

I e-filed 20, this morning, with no rejects.  In fact, I have received no state acks since yesterday morning.  

patience.gif.77284fa966ba74bc638c87966ae2c13d.gif

• Like 1

The issue, it seems to me, is that ATX notice says to "resubmit their Ohio returns and provide a yes or no answer to the question to indicate if they filed a federal extension."

But there is no way to answer "yes or no" on the OH forms regarding the federal extension.  Its just "Check here if you filed the federal extension 4868".

Checking the box is a "yes" answer.  But I didn't file an extension since the federal returns were all filed "on time"

Leaving the box blank is a "no" response (and the method I confirmed with the OH notice "not need to do anything to receive this extra time" as well as my 35 minute phone call with the OH Dept.

So I've left the the box blank and recreated the efile and submitted them.  Three times.  Every time they make it to the "transmitted to agency" phase and ultimately, "rejected by agency"

1 minute ago, Jack from Ohio said:

I e-filed 20, this morning, with no rejects.  In fact, I have received no state acks since yesterday morning.  

Well of course no rejects today because no state acks since yesterday.  ;)

I'd be curious to see if yours make it through.

3 minutes ago, aforrest said:

The issue, it seems to me, is that ATX notice says to "resubmit their Ohio returns and provide a yes or no answer to the question to indicate if they filed a federal extension."

But there is no way to answer "yes or no" on the OH forms regarding the federal extension.  Its just "Check here if you filed the federal extension 4868".

Checking the box is a "yes" answer.  But I didn't file an extension since the federal returns were all filed "on time"

Leaving the box blank is a "no" response (and the method I confirmed with the OH notice "not need to do anything to receive this extra time" as well as my 35 minute phone call with the OH Dept.

So I've left the the box blank and recreated the efile and submitted them.  Three times.  Every time they make it to the "transmitted to agency" phase and ultimately, "rejected by agency"

The more often you submit, the more difficult the problem becomes.  I just received 30 Ohio Acks from returns filed yesterday.  No issues.  I mark the e-file preference to hold the state until the Federal is accepted.  Then it changes them from held to created.  I then file the states.  Not a single issue so far, and the state acks keep flowing in.  Both from yesterday and today.

Nice.  I have three returns left.

16 minutes ago, Jack from Ohio said:

The more often you submit, the more difficult the problem becomes.

Not sure what that means.  Are you suggesting I don't resubmit them at all? 

The rejection code I get is OHIND-046 which leads to the required "yes or no" question on the federal extension.  There is no "yes or no" question. ATX customer support has no clue how to fix it and after speaking with reps at the OH Dept of Tax, the fact that is no "yes or no" question in the software is a violation of their rules (whatever those may be).