ATX Community

Yikes! Just reported on official forum: overriding tax prep fees not included in Sch A total

Abby Normal

We considered doing this but we have a preference to not override, and entering at top of Sch A is actually more convenient than scrolling down, but I wonder now how many users did this.

https://community.atxinc.com/forums/thread/263301.aspx

ATX needs to apologize for this, since overriding is allowed and has worked in the past.

• Like 3

The point was made, and I agree with it completely, if you're going to allow an override, the math still needs to work.  Don't allow the override if your formula can't accommodate an override.  I managed to pick up on the fact that there was a line up top above the Sch A and use that, I hope exclusively, but I'm not even sure what I ate yesterday. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Got my first letter where Sch A did not calculate properly.  I did an override on real estate tax, line 6.  Line 9 was correct, but the amount on line 6 didn't make it to line 29. 

Thankfully, this is a great client.  He was very gracious about it, mentioned he bought hearing aides that he forgot to tell me about.  I will amend his return free gratis to show the additional medical expense, using the IRS adjusted numbers.  It hurts me to type "IRS adjusted numbers".  I think I'll have to leave early and regroup.  #H8Form8283AndIRSAdjustedNumbers

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 3:39 PM, Abby Normal said:

Yikes, so any override on Sch A is not included in the totals. Can we get a red error, ATX?

Yes, I tried it with line 10, too.  If you override that line, the amount does not get added to Line 29.  How about just fixing the formula for Line 29 to what it should logically be (and has been prior to this year)?   Line 4 + Line 9 + Line 15 + Line 19 + Line 20 + Line 27 + Line 28 = Line 29   

• Like 2

I am guessing you are not aware of the original intent of the photo you posted?  I have seen it in other internet forums . . . it is keeping the fried chicken away from a person of a certain ethnic group.  Just a friendly heads up - "everyone makes mistakes".

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Dana said:

I am guessing you are not aware of the original intent of the photo you posted?  I have seen it in other internet forums . . . it is keeping the fried chicken away from a person of a certain ethnic group.  Just a friendly heads up - "everyone makes mistakes".

Nope, I had no idea.  So sorry.  I will remove the post.