ATX Community

I love this new client!

Abby Normal

Part-year MD resident came to us in April and put on extension. Going thru all of his records (lots of 1099Rs, several brokerage 1099s, etc.) just trying to get federal straight first and I come to his notes where he's broken down every item of income between the 2 states for me! Almost brought a tear to my eye.

I hope he's a repeat client and didn't just come to me for the transition year. I want to give him a hug! (and not a Rita hug)

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

I wish they were the norm.  They are usually excellent in their own field.  I have one  QJV with 4 retail novelty stores, Airbnb, and rentals.  After my first pass thru I only have a few questions.   I like to think I trained them well but they are very organized.

Their profitable businesses expand every year, so they know what they are doing.

• Like 3

It's the little things that bring a tear, right? LOVE it.

I have 2 retired military officers who bring huge files, lots of paper, and spreadsheets that bring that joyful tear. I go in alone, and come out refreshed... just like a shower.

Ahhhhhh......

• Like 5

So, my fab client story ( /s):

The first person I've seen today brought her 2017 W-2 and a bunch of receipts for furniture she purchased with some of her 2017 $50,000 early IRA withdrawal. 

We discussed this "move" she wanted to make in July, to pay medical bills, and I told her to pay $100 a month, or something, toward medical bills and avoid taking early withdrawals.  She indicated that she just wanted to pay the medical bills and get them behind her.  I wonder how far behind her she meant, and when exactly she was going to begin putting them behind her.  There's a grand total of one receipt here for one hundred smackers toward a medical bill. 

She only forgot her 1099-R, her 1098 Mortgage Interest, and her 1095-A.  Yes, 1095-A.   

I am pretty glad I sent her a letter in July memorializing the conversation, and warning her how she'll be repaying the APTC.  She does remember the letter.  She said she opened it this morning, had laid it aside [how important could it be], and is now worried.  You don't say.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Lion EA said:

Do you have enough pasture land to accommodate your tax practice?!

The neighbor with the farm across the road knows some of my clients and has graciously given me a key to his gate.   We work on his fence once in a while.  It's like sharecropping only different.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

9 minutes ago, Catherine said:

You (we) just can NOT save some people from themselves!

It's so true.  I really wonder why I am surprised anymore.  Then I get this very sweet text from another lady saying she got her refund this morning and thanking me for helping her, and my day is made.  Thank goodness - backhoe is low on diesel anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3