ATX Community

Incorrect cost on rental property

ILLMAS

How do I correct rental property that was supposed to be depreciated only 50% from 2003 to 2016?  I have a new client and the prior preparers have been taking 100% of the total cost, property was bought with another family member and each is supposed to report 50% of the rental income and expenses? 

Thanks

Thanks everyone, I am probably going to send the client back to prior preparer(s) to correct the depreciation for the prior years, but for 2017, can I just use the correct percentage ownership of the building therefore making the 2017 depreciation correct?  And also use the accumulated depreciation balance as my starting basis for 2017?

1 hour ago, ILLMAS said:

Thanks everyone, I am probably going to send the client back to prior preparer(s) to correct the depreciation for the prior years, but for 2017, can I just use the correct percentage ownership of the building therefore making the 2017 depreciation correct? 

Can you do that ?  Don't you have to file the 3115 with the current year return ?

• Like 1

Really, just do the 3115.  It takes into account ALL the prior year errors.  Put in your depreciation schedule for accum dep whatever the RIGHT number should have been.  All the corrections are on the 3115 (except for adding the correction onto the Sch E).

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Gail in Virginia said:

daunting at first glance

It's more tedious than terrible.  Don't forget the second copy that gets mailed to... where is it -Ogden or Kansas?  Somewhere - it's in the instructions.  I just did one earlier this week for a new client where the previous person (who charged a ridiculously high price, IMHO) messed up depreciation on a rental unit.

• Like 2

I really appreciate all the support, at first I was thinking I had to prepare one for each year :wall:

Also a big thank you to Eric, I just notice all the emoji's 🤡 I might be making history here by being the first person to post new and improved emoji's 😛

• Like 3