ATX Community

Is this possible

Pacun

I had the same question.  If the date can be exported to an Excel or csv file, you can then sort/select/extract  on any information you wish.  It's amazing what Excel can do, especially if you know how to use some of the "functions".

• Like 1

I haven't used ATX since the 2012 meltdown, so I don't know if this is still possible.  But when I looked back at 2011, I noticed it has the ability to set up custom fields.  So if you set up a custom field such as "Has ITIN", then all you'd need to do is remember to make an entry in that field for any return that has an ITIN anywhere.  Then any time you sort on that field (either within ATX or in an exported Excel file), you'd at lest narrow the list down to people who are likely to need to renew.  You might even be able to enter expiration dates (or maybe year) in that field to make it sort in a more useful manner. Personally, I'd just use "year" to keep it simple.   

This won't help much in terms of extracting the info right now, but with a little forethought and time spent in the off season, you might find that a useful feature in future years.  And in the process of making the entries now, you'd essentially be extracting current year info, which you're going to have to do anyhow if you want the data now.   Of course, you'd need to be sure the program carries data from that field into the next year when it rolls over. 

• Like 4

JohnN that's a good idea. I do have a field with an * for people who started doing their taxes the second year I was in business.  I could easily use that same field since only a few clients have an * on that field and for the rest it is empty.

• Like 2

You might want to keep studying it. I can't think of a reason for a vendor to provide a "Custom Field" unless the end purpose was to make any entry in that field unique to each individual tax return.  Adding a column on a report is just a way of displaying the entry in that field for each return.

8 minutes ago, JohnH said:

You might want to keep studying it. I can't think of a reason for a vendor to provide a "Custom Field" unless the end purpose was to make any entry in that field unique to each individual tax return.  Adding a column on a report is just a way of displaying the entry in that field for each return.

I agree with you.  What good are custom fields if they can't display info. from each tax return.  But I think they might just be boxes for you to make notes for yourself...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

It would be awesome, but it's not the way they work.

It would be awesome, and also if it was searchable without exporting to Excel.  I remember using the custom fields in the ATX return manager all the time for simple notes and statuses, and also remember that those notes did not roll forward. Still, it could be useful if the preparer used a custom field to indicate those with ITINs has JohnH described.

1 minute ago, jklcpa said:

It would be awesome, and also if it was searchable without exporting to Excel.  I remember using the custom fields in the ATX return manager all the time for simple notes and statuses, and also remember that those notes did not roll forward. Still, it could be useful if the preparer used a custom field to indicate those with ITINs has JohnH described.

The custom field rolled over for me.  I wasn't expecting them to, but they did!  Now I just have to figure out a way to make good use of them.

Manually inputing information doesn't work very well for me.  When I get busy I skip them, so they mostly have incomplete/ inconsistant information...

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jklcpa said:

They are now searchable and they do roll over. The only custom field I have now is Year End. We use and search the Status filed for statuses (entered, ready, need, received,...) and it's very helpful.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

They are now searchable and they do roll over. The only custom field I have now is Year End. We use and search the Status filed for statuses (entered, ready, need, received,...) and it's very helpful.

That's how I used it too, and searchable would have been even better!

1 hour ago, Sarypion said:

The custom field rolled over for me.  I wasn't expecting them to, but they did!  Now I just have to figure out a way to make good use of them.

Manually inputing information doesn't work very well for me.  When I get busy I skip them, so they mostly have incomplete/ inconsistant information...

Can't fix that. 

When you develop a workaround, you often have to make allowances for extra input.  The key question is, does the extra input produce a worthwhile result out of proportion to the benefit gained.  If so, then it's critical to develop the discipline to use it wisely. 

• Like 1