ATX Community

20% applies to rent?

Edsel

Does the new s.199 deduction apply to rental income?  Rental income is not considered a "business" for some purposes - like self-employment tax, some believe for issuance of 1099s for services, etc.

I've heard the original bill made no mention of rental income, and a decision may come from a "technical correction."  Technical corrections come with every major tax legislation.  They can't think of everything when it's drafted.

I'm convinced they think of lots of things when legislation is drafted, but the timing of their thinking has a strong correlation to when & in what amount the campaign contributions come rolling in.  Technical corrections become somewhat of an annuity stream for campaign financing. 

2 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

I think this year, the later you take CPE, the better.

Agreed.  It's early for the tax courses, I know, but I try to do some CPE each month and can only sit through so many hours of A&A before I want to mix some tax in there.  I should probably do the ethics to put that behind me for this reporting period. 

• Like 2