ATX Community

NOL Carryback and ACA

Gail in Virginia

If this has been discussed, I could not find it but sometimes I don't choose the right keywords.  I have a client who has an NOL generated in 2017 by his Schedule C business.  This if the first year his business did not have a profit, so I am carrying the loss back.  He also has been getting his health insurance through the marketplace with a subsidy.  Two years ago, he had to pay back about $1200  of the subsidy he received.  Now with the loss carried back to that year, he not only does not owe the repayment but is entitled to more subsidy than he actually received - about $2000 more. I haven't found anything to say that recalculating the income does or does not affect the ACA subsidy and result in refundable credit. 

Does anyone have any knowledge about this? 

TIA

Yes, you will recalculate any refundable credits that are impacted by a change in AGI, or MAGI and household income in this case.  It goes in the "after carryback" column of form 1045, and you will complete a form 8962 with the revised figures.   It's in the instructions for form 1045, line 21.  

• Like 4