ATX Community

It's time for a new printer

ILLMAS

13 minutes ago, ILLMAS said:

I have managed to destroy three Brother 5450dn printer in the last four year, can someone recommend a good printer beside a brother?

Thanks

I have two, of that very machine, that are over 5 years old with 250,000 pages on each one.  Maybe you need a course in proper printer care?

I have being using HP printers and they seem to be OK. Please make sure you read the reviews because I bought a printer for my friend and she didn't use it this tax season because it was slow. Luckily, in March, HP released a firmware update and it made it faster.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

Wow, those are expensive. I always buy the $100 ones. I have the HL2360 now.

Yep.  I have had the HL-2270DW for about 5 years now and had another Brother model for about the prior 5 year period.  I usually use Staple Multiuse paper which is fairly inexpensive and havent had any problems.  I like Brother because I can find inexpensive 3rd party toner.  Used HP previously but felt both the printer and the toner were too expensive.

• Like 1

I bought two of the Brother HL-5470DW printers a couple of years back after hearing about the earlier versions on this forum.  They've become my workhorses.  Had been buying toner at list from Office Depot, but thanks to the comments on this thread I'm going to look for discounted toner and stop throwing that money away.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jack from Ohio said:

I get compatible toner carts for $7 each.  The Brother brand carts give me 5,000 pages, and the compatible carts give me 5,000 pages each as well.  

Where are you getting your toner.  From amazon and ebay I usually only get <1500 pages from the "high capacity" carts.

I've never had a problem with refilled cartridges purchased through Amazon. I buy all office supplies except paper via Amazon and I buy the paper at Sam's over lunch while I eat a hot dog!

It's amazing how cheap office supplies are today compared to 15 years ago.

• Like 1

Whatever happened to the Paperless office we were all promised back in the late 70's and 80's when PC's were coming in to use.

I had a retail business at that time with over 15,000 SKU's.  The computer really helped with inventory control, but to get reports a printer was essential.  It was one of those 128 column IBM jobs and it put out reams and reams of paper.  Instead of less paper there was more than before.  The large reports on that wide, accordion folded paper were awkward to handle and stacks just piled up in the office.  Since it wasn't suitable for printing sales receipts, a small, second printer was put to work.  I went through several Canon's and Epson's as they were all prone to breakdown, even with proper maintenance, so I had a second ready to go, in case the one in use brokedown.

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 2:34 PM, JohnH said:

I bought two of the Brother HL-5470DW printers a couple of years back after hearing about the earlier versions on this forum.  They've become my workhorses.  Had been buying toner at list from Office Depot, but thanks to the comments on this thread I'm going to look for discounted toner and stop throwing that money away.

Try this: SuppliesOutlet.com (877-822-8659).  They're in Memphis and you get a five-pack for $85 less 10% discount.  Good merchandise, quick delivery.

http://www.suppliesoutlet.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7f-orJXB2wIVDrXACh1HyAVREAAYASAAEgKdfvD_BwE

• Like 3

HP printers are my workhorse printers since my first that hubby still uses now (HP PCL 4 or something like that).  Have three HPs in my office currently, all years old:  large color laser, small very fast black only laser for tax returns, and an all-in-one color inkjet for when I need a stand-alone fax or glass-plate scanner (my workhorse scanner is a Fujitsu).  Never had an HP break down; every HP printer I've ever owned is still in use by my business or my family.  I have had to throw out a couple of Brother printers.

• Like 4