ATX Community

Scam of the day

Lee B

New phishing emails from scammers are posing as state accounting and professional associations to lure tax pros into volunteering sensitive info, the IRS said. Tax professionals have reported getting emails that tried to trick them into disclosing their email usernames and passwords.  Cybercriminals targeted tax pros in Iowa, Illinois, New Jersey and North Carolina.  The IRS also received reports about a Canadian accounting association. 😠

• Thanks 1
  • Angry 1

Of all people, how to accountants and tax preparers fall for these scams?  Aren't we always warning our clients about this sort of thing?  If not, we should be. That alone should raise our own awareness.

The sneakiest thing I've seen was a "Docusign" document I received via email.  If I had been in the process of completing a real estate transaction, insurance,  or other activity  which involved exchanging e-signed documents, I might have fallen for something like that.

• Like 5

I received 2 Docusign emails spaced 4 hours apart.  When I tried to delete the first one, my email client completely froze so I had to shut down and reboot.  I immediately updated virus defs and scanned.  Sure enough, a Trojan labeled severe!!! What really ticked me off is that the first one cleaned out my inbox including several saved emails, not all of which were still in the cloud.  Grrr... At least the second one was caught before more damage occurred.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Margaret CPA in OH said:

I received 2 Docusign emails spaced 4 hours apart.  When I tried to delete the first one, my email client completely froze so I had to shut down and reboot.  I immediately updated virus defs and scanned.  Sure enough, a Trojan labeled severe!!! What really ticked me off is that the first one cleaned out my inbox including several saved emails, not all of which were still in the cloud.  Grrr... At least the second one was caught before more damage occurred.

Wow, we are really getting in deep doo doo here !

How many internet based apps and functions will we have to avoid in order to keep our data safe and secure ???

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, cbslee said:

How many internet based apps and functions will we have to avoid in order to keep our data safe and secure ???

A non-networked computer that interfaces with the internet for email, research, etc.

Networked computers with NO connection to the internet for data handling and tax prep.

The internet computer for transmitting e-files shuffle-netted over to it. 

Grrr.

3 minutes ago, Catherine said:

A non-networked computer that interfaces with the internet for email, research, etc.

Networked computers with NO connection to the internet for data handling and tax prep.

The internet computer for transmitting e-files shuffle-netted over to it. 

Grrr.

Too inconvenient.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Catherine said:

I was going to, but get a message that you cannot receive messages.  If that's a setting you set, you'll have to change it.  Else it's a glitch for Eric to look into.

I have been having PM conversation with Crank.  Maybe YOU are the one in trouble? Stand by, I think your message came through.