ATX Community

June 23 Get Together / Shameless Plug

RitaB

Just wanted to run a commercial and encourage anyone who is on the fence about coming to please join us.  We're meeting at my house in middle TN on June 23 at 2:00.  We'll eat soon after that so don't eat lunch first.  Bring family - my kids will be there and we'll play corn hole, visit, and have a great time.  May be able to fish and pedal boat if the hay is off the field.  Stay as long as you like - we can have hot dogs and s'mores for supper.  Send me a message and let me know you're coming and how many you're bringing.  I will send you directions.  Can't wait to see you!

summer-gathering.jpg.50a3948f06ecc00d370ea2d07ca30d65.jpg

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, RitaB said:

Stay as long as you like - 

Uummmmm!!!!!!   UUUUmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I can not think of how to respond to that.  How are the winters and springs in middle Tennessee? :)

But in all seriousness, I regret that I will be unable to attend.  I have some things going on around here that need my very close attention.  I trust it will be a great time, though, for one and all!

But just for the clarification of everyone else that is going, the party will be getting the hay off of the field in order to fish and do the pedal boat?  Did I understand that correctly?  That is kinda low handed Rita - even for you.   :)

• Haha 5

I will be there with Cincinnati chili (but not the chopped onions, sorry) with or without beans but lots of cheese.  My husband may choose the golf course being the sort of shy type.  We will arrive Friday evening so let me know if you need some help before 2.  (I will have to heat up the chili and spaghetti.)  We can bring some beer, ice, whatever.  I have about 100 plastic forks to bring, too, if you like.  Plates? cups?  Let us know what is needed.

As I am mostly vegetarian now I will also bring some veggie burgers.  The chili is not vegetarian, I usually get the sauce with rice and beans but they don't have that in cans yet.

We will have to leave by 6 to make it back to Cincinnati before the sidewalks get rolled up.

• Like 5

I will be there!  Flying in to Nashville a couple of days early to go to another meeting in Cleveland TN, driving from there on Saturday.  I can pick up *anything* you might need on that drive if you tell me what.  I'm not going to pack plastic tableware in my one bag, so I'll buy as needed.  What can I bring?  Chips and dips?  Paper plates?  Case of soda?  

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Margaret CPA in OH said:

I will be there with Cincinnati chili (but not the chopped onions, sorry) with or without beans but lots of cheese.  My husband may choose the golf course being the sort of shy type.  We will arrive Friday evening so let me know if you need some help before 2.  (I will have to heat up the chili and spaghetti.)  We can bring some beer, ice, whatever.  I have about 100 plastic forks to bring, too, if you like.  Plates? cups?  Let us know what is needed.

As I am mostly vegetarian now I will also bring some veggie burgers.  The chili is not vegetarian, I usually get the sauce with rice and beans but they don't have that in cans yet.

We will have to leave by 6 to make it back to Cincinnati before the sidewalks get rolled up.

Thanks, Margaret, I'll chop some onions! 

I will have soft drinks, tea, hard lemonade.  Tubs of ice.  Feel free to bring whatever other beverages you like and we'll have room for it.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Catherine said:

I will be there!  Flying in to Nashville a couple of days early to go to another meeting in Cleveland TN, driving from there on Saturday.  I can pick up *anything* you might need on that drive if you tell me what.  I'm not going to pack plastic tableware in my one bag, so I'll buy as needed.  What can I bring?  Chips and dips?  Paper plates?  Case of soda?  

Thanks, Catherine, no need to bring anything at all.  Can't wait!

• Like 2

@RitaB OK, I was just booking my hotel room, and something popped up on Hotels.com that you just have to tell me about.....What is Pandora's Forrest and Resort?   It popped up as "Adults Only".   I thought y'all were in the bible belt.  And no, I am not staying there.

I am flying into Memphis Wed and going to Tunica MS for the TNSEA seminar on Thur and Friday.   Friday night heading over your way.   I can help out with anything you may need in the morning.    Just let me know.   

Tom
Modesto, CA

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

14 minutes ago, BulldogTom said:

@RitaB OK, I was just booking my hotel room, and something popped up on Hotels.com that you just have to tell me about.....What is Pandora's Forrest and Resort?   It popped up as "Adults Only".   I thought y'all were in the bible belt.  And no, I am not staying there.

I am flying into Memphis Wed and going to Tunica MS for the TNSEA seminar on Thur and Friday.   Friday night heading over your way.   I can help out with anything you may need in the morning.    Just let me know.   

Tom
Modesto, CA

Bahahahaha, hey, now!  LOL.  Yeah, I have no clue about Pandora.  She's probably not a tax pro. 

Lunch is pulled pork, Cincinnati chili,  side dishes and 100 deserts.  (Give or take.)

I do have a couple folks asking about church.  Would love to have you at mine on Sunday.  Services are at 9:00 and 10:45.  We have Bible School the week before, so I'll check with Sam to see if the kids are doing the service or if he's preaching.  Link below. 

http://www.cumberlandfellowship.com/new-folder/

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We're driving in Thursday evening (me & Karin) and we're headed to Asheville NC on Sunday. Any suggestions for things to do on Friday are welcomed, and we'll be able to lend a hand for anything last minute items on Saturday.

Will the tea be unsweetened? We'll bring some water and beer and/or wine and/or hard seltzers.

I see there's a Quaker Meeting! We might check that out on Friday or Saturday, since we're hitting the road early on Sunday.

I'll DM you my email and cell in case we need to communicate.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jack from Ohio said:

Do you have access to a BIG screen TV or monitor?  We may be able to have facetime, or google chat with some of those that can't attend.  Also, if Abby want to have a video presentation, with PowerPoint, or some similar program, we could put it up on the BIG screen.  I am bringing my laptop.

BIG = >55"

I've decided to do a couple of YouTube videos, since people are just going to want to party and relax, plus half the attendees use Drake or other software. This way any one can view the videos at their leisure.

• Like 6

Just now, jklcpa said:

Darn it, I can't do facetime with an android. Could you do some live streaming through facebook?

Getting hungry here thinking about missing the pulled pork and 100 desserts.  🤤   Really sorry I won't be there.  😞  

Android video calls are done on Allo, which can be installed on iPhones too, but Facebook live would work for those who have a facebook account.

• Like 2

You know what's going to be weird? I (and I'm sure you) read everyone's posts in the voice I imagine you sound like. But your actual voices are going to sound NOTHING like I've imagined. I even have heights picked out for some of you (tall, average, short). Will be great to have actual voices from now on!

• Haha 4

Judy, I'm getting hungry, too!!

Rita you're a gem.  I'll have to get to TN after getting my hip replaced, herniated disk fixed, etc.  It's maintenance, maintenance, maintenance!  I'm also missing Appalachia Service Project this summer in KY and WV.

A group photo with names would be fun, too.

• Like 6

I can't wait to see pictures and videos! I know that you all will have a great time. I broke a few ribs and possibly my sternum last week on a very stupid treadmill accident. I will never push the program button before I step on again. ( I pushed start, by accident) I wish that I had a video of me being thrown off of the back of the treadmill, because I'm sure that it was hilarious and would get a lot ot viewings. I am self treating, since my deductible is way too high to go for something that they can't fix anyway. If one starts poking through the skin, then I will have to go. We just found out that we need a new roof and that deductible is ridiculous, so roof comes before anything else.

• Sad 5

Ouch!  Saw my mother fly off backwards off of the treadmill in my office and smacked herself good on the head right into my filing cabinet.  Saw the whole thing in slow motion.  Nothing broke just bruised all over.  I told her if not carefull I will be accused of elder abuse which is way far from the truth, as I would do anything for her.  Since then she has taken several more tumbles, which has us both a bit scared.  We recently moved from our longtime home town to a big city and in the last 4 months she has tumbled twice.  Again nothing broke just bruised and scraped and hurt ego but hopefully this is the last for this year.

Take care and definitely go get checked out!  You are far more i,important than your roof!

• Like 4

Deb, I'm glad that your mom did not get hurt badly. I did hit my head first and then landed on my chest where I proceeded to get thrown off the back. I just wasn't paying attention and pushed what I thought was the button to bring up my programs, grabbed the tv remote from the couch and stepped on with one foot. I am just glad that it didn't knock me out, because my husband was outside and would not have found me for at least an hour. We have already been through my husband breaking his ribs and they did not do anything but give him pain pills. I will just get by on Aleve, Ibuprophen and ice packs. 

Bonnie

• Like 3

Other attractions for those of you who might be in TN Friday and looking for something else to do.

If you are around during the day on Friday, you might try whitewater rafting on the Ocoee River.  Especially for anyone in the Cleveland, Tennessee area, it is very, very close (less than 30 miles).  It is a good 1.5 hours or so from Crossville, certainly no less than that.  Whitewater rafting is safe because of the skill of the guides, but I would not recommend anyone under 10 years to raft in this river.  Allow about 4 hours at the river - you will be in the water only 2.5 hours but you have to gear up and ride a bus.  The river is 30 miles east of Cleveland on Hwy 64 and there are any number of commercial outfitters willing to take your money.  In planning, just remember the Ocoee is in the Eastern Time Zone - Rita is in the Central Zone.

On Friday evening around 5-6 o'clock there is genuine southern bluegrass at Nine Mile community, a few miles north of Pikeville, TN.  Nine Mile is only 45 minutes south of Rita's farm on US Hwy 127.  Remember, polished, trained voices are not welcomed at bluegrass venues - you won't even get TV quality bluegrass voices.  Expect voices with kinda a rough edge and soulful singing.  Just tell 'em you "ain't furm here" and you will be treated royally.  Come when you can, leave when you want - probably no admission but they will ask you for a contribution to meet expenses.

I am planning on being there and trying to talk my wife into coming.  If she comes, those who talk with her are in for a treat.  She is from Dalton, GA and a career in the cotton and carpet mills.  People in Tennessee call her the "Georgia Peach."

• Like 4

This thread is killing me.  You're all going to have so much fun, like a high school reunion on steroids,  seeing old friends that you remember what they looked like, but have changed.  Only now, as Abby said, you have images of what you look and sound like, then when you see each other in person, I could only imagine all the hugging.  I wish I could be there, but will be in heart and soul.  Can't wait to hear about it, I'll be toasting all of you on the 23rd.

Great photo Abby, Karin looks like a real sweetheart.  You have my hair from the 70's.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, FDNY said:

This thread is killing me.  You're all going to have so much fun, like a high school reunion on steroids,  seeing old friends that you remember what they looked like, but have changed.  Only now, as Abby said, you have images of what you look and sound like, then when you see each other in person, I could only imagine all the hugging.  I wish I could be there, but will be in heart and soul.  Can't wait to hear about it, I'll be toasting all of you on the 23rd.

Great photo Abby, Karin looks like a real sweetheart.  You have my hair from the 70's.

Do  you have a Facebook account?  If yes, we can do Facebook video chat.  It is the next best thing to being there!!  If we can work it out, we may even stream live...

• Like 4

To @NECPA in NEBRASKA please take care!  I saw Adam Savage of Mythbusters fall from a treadmill,  utterly drunk (for a myth) and he was so gone he just bounced with nothing but bruises - but BOY did he bounce hard.  If you need money for your doctor, we'll take up a collection for you!  If you're sure of Aleve and ice, go for it.  I certainly self-treat a ton of things most folks go running to the doctor for.  That has included huge bruises, serious sprains, nasty deep splinters, and two (at different times) broken toes.  Yeah, people (if you tell them) look at you like you're nuts - but YOU know how you feel.  Look up the signs of punctured lung (bad break for a rib can do that) and as long as you don't see those, ice and Aleve are your very good friends.  Yes, that's all they will do for you; they don't even wrap them these days.

@Edsel, I certainly hope you can talk your wife into coming along!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1