ATX Community

June 23 Get Together / Shameless Plug

RitaB

17 minutes ago, Catherine said:

To @NECPA in NEBRASKA please take care!  I saw Adam Savage of Mythbusters fall from a treadmill,  utterly drunk (for a myth) and he was so gone he just bounced with nothing but bruises - but BOY did he bounce hard.  If you need money for your doctor, we'll take up a collection for you!  If you're sure of Aleve and ice, go for it.  I certainly self-treat a ton of things most folks go running to the doctor for.  That has included huge bruises, serious sprains, nasty deep splinters, and two (at different times) broken toes.  Yeah, people (if you tell them) look at you like you're nuts - but YOU know how you feel.  Look up the signs of punctured lung (bad break for a rib can do that) and as long as you don't see those, ice and Aleve are your very good friends.  Yes, that's all they will do for you; they don't even wrap them these days.

@Edsel, I certainly hope you can talk your wife into coming along!

Thanks for the advice! No need for a collection. I just hate paying doctors for something unless it's urgent. I was really ticked when she prescribed some ointment that is specifically for knee pain in March for a little bit of arthritis in my knee which was not a big deal to me. I did not have a copay for it, but when I saw the EOB I almost had a stroke to see that they paid over $1K for something that didn't help me at all. The original cost of it was over $3K.  Then I received a letter from Blue Cross that I could not refill it without prior permission and that the deductible had gone up. I would never refill it anyway, I hardly used any of it. No wonder our health insurance premiums are so high! The also ran tests at my April physical that my insurance won't even pay for, which I now have to eat. I guess when I turned 60, she decided that I was going to fall apart. 

• Like 4

Dang it I have to umpire the all stars softball games that weekend. My daughter and granddaughter are both playing. We start on Friday morning and go to Sunday night. A win here means we get to go to State tournament. Root for us. Put up pictures or videos. I can get them either way. Everybody enjoy but lookout for the back 40. Who knows what lies there.

• Like 5

I am trying to get there.  My husband and I will be staying in Gatlinburg, and that is farther from Rita than I thought it would be.  And I have stayed farther behind than I thought I would - too many graduations and other events to attend.  But if the good Lord is willing and the creek don't rise, we will be there.  Please PM me directions.  And refresh my memory.  I seem to recall we needed to bring a chair; were we supposed to bring food?  I know some were offering to bring specialties of their location, but I hate to cross state lines with moonshine so not sure what to bring.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Gail in Virginia said:

I am trying to get there.  My husband and I will be staying in Gatlinburg, and that is farther from Rita than I thought it would be.  And I have stayed farther behind than I thought I would - too many graduations and other events to attend.  But if the good Lord is willing and the creek don't rise, we will be there.  Please PM me directions.  And refresh my memory.  I seem to recall we needed to bring a chair; were we supposed to bring food?  I know some were offering to bring specialties of their location, but I hate to cross state lines with moonshine so not sure what to bring.

Gail, no need to bring anything.  I'm borrowing tables and chairs from church.   🤗

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gail in Virginia said:

I am trying to get there.  My husband and I will be staying in Gatlinburg, and that is farther from Rita than I thought it would be.

Gail, I hope you can make it.  Gatlinburg is about 2.5 hours if you can navigate around Pigeon Forge.

Pigeon Forge is on the way out of Gatlinburg, and during most days it is jammed with tourists and you had best plan for at least an hour to drive as little as 3 miles.  (I am not exaggerating)  BUT - you can avoid Pigeon Forge.

Ask someone in Gatlinburg for the backroad to Townsend.  It's not far, and you make a leisurely drive alongside a small cascading river until you reach the community of Townsend, the "back door" to the Smoky Mountains because it is so much less commercialized than Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge.  From Townsend take big highway (four lanes) U S 321 westbound.  You will go through Maryville and cross the Tennessee River at Lenoir City.  These are towns with a little traffic but nothing as time-consuming as Pigeon Forge.  Continue on Hwy 321 all the way to Interstate 40 where you will travel west and be in Crossville in about 45 minutes.

This is about the best I can do - use Mapquest for more explicit instructions.

Hope to see you - Edsel

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Edsel said:

Gail, I hope you can make it.  Gatlinburg is about 2.5 hours if you can navigate around Pigeon Forge.

Pigeon Forge is on the way out of Gatlinburg, and during most days it is jammed with tourists and you had best plan for at least an hour to drive as little as 3 miles.  (I am not exaggerating)  BUT - you can avoid Pigeon Forge.

Ask someone in Gatlinburg for the backroad to Townsend.  It's not far, and you make a leisurely drive alongside a small cascading river until you reach the community of Townsend, the "back door" to the Smoky Mountains because it is so much less commercialized than Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge.  From Townsend take big highway (four lanes) U S 321 westbound.  You will go through Maryville and cross the Tennessee River at Lenoir City.  These are towns with a little traffic but nothing as time-consuming as Pigeon Forge.  Continue on Hwy 321 all the way to Interstate 40 where you will travel west and be in Crossville in about 45 minutes.

This is about the best I can do - use Mapquest for more explicit instructions.

Hope to see you - Edsel

i have family that live in Knoxville, Lenoir City, Murfreesboro, and an Uncle and Aunt that lived 8 miles from Crossville.

Edsel is giving you the best route to take from Gatlinburg.  Been there many times, and he is spot on.

• Like 2

On 6/14/2018 at 11:51 AM, Edsel said:

Ask someone in Gatlinburg for the backroad to Townsend.  It's not far, and you make a leisurely drive alongside a small cascading river until you reach the community of Townsend,

Be careful, there is a waterfall (by/under a bridge) along this route.  A stop to sight see here, has sucked many an hour out of my days.

• Like 3

I am just making my list to pack and looking at the (ridiculously long) list of chores I need to finish before I can leave.  REALLY looking forward to seeing everyone, and hoping this northern girl (with the temporary high thyroid that makes me extra hot all the time) won't melt in the Tennessee heat!

Here's a picture of Doug and me that Gwen took last year.  But Doug can't come; it will just be me.

IMG_5438.JPG

• Like 6

Traffic cost us 3 hours (2 mangled up accidents, and normal Friday evening traffic in Cinci), GPS malfunction cost us 2 hours, normal travel time 6 hours, we made it to our motel in Crossville 1:08 AM Crossville local time.  Looking forward to seeing all the party people tomorrow!!
I may be able to live stream on Facebook and/or do some video chat on Facebook, or other chat programs.  In addition, I will post pictures.  Maybe some that the subjects in the picture, did not even know they were taken!

• Like 3

On 6/13/2018 at 1:12 PM, Jack from Ohio said:

Do  you have a Facebook account?  If yes, we can do Facebook video chat.  It is the next best thing to being there!!  If we can work it out, we may even stream live...

I have a facebook account.

• Like 3

Oh this is so great to see!  I've been waiting all day.   So glad you guys were able to do this, it makes this board come alive with all your smiling faces.  Thank you for getting everyone together Rita, you are our Sweetheart Queen.  Love you, Bill

• Like 8

I swear we look almost like a group of tax nerds!  Well, there was the occasional mention of tax, software, etc. but we did have a lot of fun getting to know each other in a very different way.  Thanks, Rita, for making this happen (or allowing it, as the case may be ☺️).  We always knew you were a super person; now we know for certain!

• Like 10