ATX Community

Subpoena Question

Roberts

I received a subpoena for all the records we have on a client. We are not involved in the lawsuit in any way - strictly providing documents requested. Turns out there are about 450 pages of documents and another attorney suggested we submit a bill for our time. His attitude was that they may just disregard it but they likely will pay it if we aren't too high.

What would you charge for something like that? It took us about 5 hours to put it all together.

Edit; I wouldn't want to be a jerk and over charge. Technically this is a relative of one of my workers but it's a distant relative.

How about a per page charge ($1.00 - $1.50 per page, for example), discounted by 25% if the bill is paid within xx days? You choose the per page charge, amount of discount, and number of days as you see fit.

(Unless your state has a standard along the lines Lynn mentioned)

• Like 1

I spoke with an independent third party attorney who said it's basically the honor system. He said to include a bill and hope they pay it because it's not coming out of their pocket book.

I don't see a state figure but do see one for medical records at $.59 per page.  I like the 25% discount idea - don't know why I didn't think of that.

I will 100% include an additional postage fee.

• Like 2

After reading in the back of the subpoena that a bill was expected - I did away with the discount offer!

Thought mentality of people are different. I was fine with $.59 per page for a relative of a partner of my firm. That partner declared he's going to send him an additional bill for 3x that amount.

• Like 2