ATX Community

NT Aberdeen MD

Edsel

For Abnormal, Judy, or anyone else who lives in MD, DE, PA:

I have a customer who is bidding some Army work at Aberdeen Proving Grounds.  We did geographical salary surveys and used salary information for Washington DC - the DC area and suburbs in Virginia and Maryland have some of the highest salaries in the country. 

Our initial survey tells us we are not competitive, and I'm wondering if the salaries at Aberdeen are substantially less than DC.  Aberdeen is not exactly remote - only 60+ miles from DC and probably even less from Wilmington/Philadelphia.

For any of you who may know - are salaries precipitously less for NE Maryland compared to DC?  I would expect them to be a little less, but not tremendously so as to make us non-competitive...

Not a tax question - but thanks if you have information to share...

I'd say, yes, the salaries in the northeastern part of MD area definitely going to be less that anything in DC, probably closer to our levels in New Castle County, DE, depending on the jobs.  Years ago theirs used to be less but came up to our level with more people either commuting here or into the Baltimore area.  

The closer to DC, the higher prices and salaries will be, in general.  Comparing to my area (use Wilmington DE/ New Castle County), wages are definitely higher in Philly, Baltimore slightly higher than Philly, and DC higher yet.  

I wouldn't use DC salary levels unless the job is specifically in DC.  Jobs at the Proving Ground may require very unique skills that would carry a higher price tag, but unless that is the case, I'd probably use a median salary of ours and Baltimore's.  As an example, a friend of ours is a surveyvor whose company did some work there on gov't contract and charged more, not because of any unique skills but more because of the requirements imposed on them by the government.  Also, if your client doesn't already perform other government contracts, taking this on could also require them to have a higher level of financial audit and insurance too, and factoring those costs into the contract may make them noncompetitive.