ATX Community

ATX Minimum Specs for 2018

Robin

Has ATX released minimum specs for a stand-alone computer system (1 user) yet? Or maybe some computer gurus on the boards have some suggestions. I specifically want a desktop/ monitor setup, as exclusively using a laptop is grueling to these aging eyes.

Currently using a 6 yr old Windows Pro 7 64 bit i7-2600 CPU 3.4 GHz 12GB ram 914GB hard drive (622 GB free) which has recently started to slow down and lock up,  requiring a periodic re-start to move on. I tried to load up in 2012 when I bought this computer. Not real excited about to moving to Win10, but I guess it’s inevitable at this point.

TIA,

-Robin

Win 10 is not inevitable. If I had to buy a new computer, I'd go with 8.1, which is what all of my computers are on now. It will get you more used to 10 since 10 is largely based on 8.1, but you'll avoid all the issues of 10.

They haven't released the 18 requirements yet, but I doubt they'll change at all from 17. Always try to exceed the best requirements.

And, definitely go with a solid state drive (SSD) over a spinning hard drive (HD).

You'll see here that ATX has recommended 8.1 over 7 for several years now.

• Like 2