ATX Community

IRS Seeking Comments on Postcard 1040

Lee B

When I copied and pasted that email address into my email program, it complained that there were non-ASCII characters in it, so I just typed it in and it was fine.

Here's my email:

This redesign is a huge waste of money and is purely for political talking points. They've taken a familiar two page form and turned it into an eight page monstrosity.

Making the main form two half pages instead of one full page is a joke. The amount of excess paper this will cause to be consumed is alarming. All of that white space on the new forms is insane.

Make the new 1040 one full page and put multiples of the new "schedules" on the same page so that the average taxpayer will still only have two pages and not eight! And if the taxpayer doesn't need any schedules, their tax form will be one page instead of the traditional two.

Thanks for listening!

• Like 8

Thanks Lee,  evidently this is not over if they are entertaining comments.  My being a perennial optimist I am hopeful some sanity will take root. 

I like Abby's letter, will make a nice template in keeping it short, sweet, and to the point.

Now where's my thesaurus?

• Like 2

Thanks cbslee. I will prepare my letter as well. I agree with the statement about the new "post card" tax return being a political talking point. However, it has left the general public to believe that tax code has been re-written and simplified making the old form obsolete. As I see it, this is a redesign of the form and what makes up the content remains complex. 

• Like 5

20 hours ago, FDNY said:

BTW, I love dinosaurs since I worked in a Sinclair gas station as a kid.  Remember Dino?

Yes, and do you remember the animatronics show "Dinosaurs" from - I forget when, but a long time ago; early 90's-ish.  All the dinosaurs were named after oil companies.  Earl Sinclair, his mother in law Ethyl Phillips, boss Mr B. P. Richfield, buddy Roy Hess. It was a hoot!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Catherine said:

Yes, and do you remember the animatronics show "Dinosaurs" from - I forget when, but a long time ago; early 90's-ish.  All the dinosaurs were named after oil companies.  Earl Sinclair, his mother in law Ethyl Phillips, boss Mr B. P. Richfield, buddy Roy Hess. It was a hoot!

I loved that show!  My son was a baby about then, and the little dinosaur - "Gotta love me!"  just seemed so perfect!

• Like 3