ATX Community

NT It has been real!!!

rfassett

Well, today I sold my practice to a very capable young man!  I have taken down my shingle and have entered retirement. I just wanted to stop in and say so long for now and to express the deepest sense of gratitude for each and everyone of you and the sense of comradiry we have had here. It is with the most sincere part of me that I say I wish the each of you the very best of luck and success in the days and years to come. May the Lord of all creation be your ever guiding light! And until we meet again.................

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

Congratulations!  Please keep stopping by to chat with us.  I sold 85% of my practice last December to some folks I've known for years.  Most of the "client" stories I've told this year are from that batch.  I've been working with my friends to make sure the transition goes well.  Plus I dove in to help (at their request) when two people came down with the flu in March.  All I kept were family, some close friends, and a few elderly clients (who, sad to say, are *not* a long-term concern) for whom a transition would have been difficult.  Retirement doesn't mean you have to go away from your friends here.  Heaven will still be a while off...

• Like 4

Good for you Ron!  Hope retirement is all you've dreamed it would be.  It made me wonder how many seasoned tax pros will take that step now that we have to deal with the TCJA.  When I go to seminars, it isn't uncommon for the speakers to mention how there are a lot of "grey heads" in the audience and implore us to encourage yoiung people to get into the business.  I think with the new tax law, it will be easier for less experienced people to adapt than it will be for those of us who have been doing tax prep for awhile.  We have to UNLEARN so many things that are burned into our brains--dependents, allowable itemized deductions, impact of AMT--and figure out the new 20% deduction on business income, result of reduced withholding, etc.  I think a lot of tax pros who have been thinking about retiring "someday" may decide that day has arrived.  This tax season will probably be horrible with many unhappy clients who expected their usual $2k refund and now owe $200, or partners and business owners who banked on that 20% and discover they get nothing.  If not this year, we may see many more retirements in 2019.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ILLMAS said:

Enjoy your retirement Ron, and a final question, were you the accountant that was located next to strip clubs?  I remember when I first joined the forum there was someone here that was located next to strip club, who ever it was, lucky 😂

If memory serves, I'm pretty sure that was @michaelmars

• Like 3

On 8/2/2018 at 9:01 AM, Randall said:

I'm jealous.  I'll have to keep plugging away for a few more years.  I am cutting back some.  After April 15, I've been taking Fridays off.

I plan on having a progression retirement plan like this.

In about 5 years I'll start taking Friday afternoon's off. I've noticed that if I leave at noon on Friday it feels like a 3 day weekend. A lot of times I have lunch with friends on Friday so it would be a nice transition.

Then I'll shift to taking another 1/2 day per week when I turn 60.

We are moving into a condo in about 3 weeks. With the selling period of our house I expect to maybe have to mow the yard 5 more times at most in my life!!!! No more leaves!!!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

Nope. I typed that on my computer. Kinda scary when your brain crosses a circuit.

Sometimes their is no answer to what the brain types so fast, so go have a bear or too and prey it never happens again.

• Haha 4