ATX Community

windows 10 and ATX legacy Compatibilty

Lloyd Hudson

Before you upgrade, please check with your software company (ATX, intuit, etc) and ask them if their old software would work with Windows 10. Sometimes they have a patch but sometimes they don't.  I believe the last three years of ATX will work and 99% of the time you will need only those three years.

A while ago, I upgraded my computer and I installed the last three years on the new one. I kept the old computer without turning it on or connecting it to the network, so I have used it 0 times and that was 7 years ago.

You don't have to go with 10 on a new computer. I just rebuilt a computer and moved the old drive into the new one. The drive was not that old.

If your drive is old, you could clone it to a new drive and save a lot of time setting up the new computer.

I use and love 8.1 and won't go to 10 until it's forced upon me.

• Like 1

Finally spoke with "ATX customer support and they state that 2011 forward will work with 10. Abby, I agree with using old drive. but I am on Win 7  and am concerned about diminishing MS.support. I have already changed all the drives in the office this year with exception of server drives . They are still fairly new. At this stage of life I am not interested in late night computer malfunctions or DRAMA> 

Thank you both for good input.  

You can always go to 8.1 for a few years before we have 10 forced on us. 10 is largely based on 8.1 so you can get familiar with the inevitable future.

I've been using it with zero problems since 2013. It's actually my favorite flavor of windows ever. It's faster, more secure and simply works better than 7. FYI, I almost never go into the 'modern interface' of 8.1. There's one or two settings that are only there and you set those once in the beginning and you're done.

I never installed a 3rd party menu for 8, because I just pin my main tasks to the taskbar, my secondary tasks are in the QuickLaunch bar and I have desktop icons for rarely used programs. And if I need something unusual, I press the WinKey and start typing and it finds it in seconds.

5 hours ago, Pacun said:

Windows 10 is the best OS that Microsoft has come up with. Now that 2011 and after will work with Windows 10, I will have to upgrade. Of course keeping my old computer for a couple of years is not a bad idea.

If you don't mind giving Microsoft permission to install updates when it pleases and reboot your computer without asking. Why do you think they changed 'My Computer' to 'This PC'? 🔫

• Like 2

What they called your computer is semantics. It doesn't matter what they call it but rather what the OS does. Embrace the new OS, there is no way around. Soon your Windows 7 computer will have more holes than a strainer and you will put your client's data at risk. I have not seen an industry (Tax preparation) with more information about people than the one we have on our computers AND yet we are hesitant to upgrade just because semantics.

Keep in mind that after Windows 7, Microsoft released Windows 8 and then windows 8.1 and then it came Windows 10 1703, then Windows 10 1709 and then Windows 10 1803. Based on this information you have two facts:

1.- You will not be able to skip Windows 10 because it will continue to be Windows 10 for a while.
2.- Your Windows 7 OS is very old if you notices the OS versions that came after it and soon will have many security vulnerabilities.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Pacun said:

2.- Your Windows 7 OS is very old if you notices the OS versions that came after it and soon will have many security vulnerabilities.

You are overstating the risk with lots of hyperbole.

Windows 8.1 is on extended support until January 2023.

Windows 7 Pro is receiving extended support from Microsoft until January 15, 2020, which means that Microsoft is still issuing updates and patches for all known security risks until that time. I receive weekly security risk definition updates and large monthly software updates and patches..

• Like 3

I have a machine with Windows XP in my network.  I have years 2002 - 2005 on it.  Those years are not compatible with WIN 7.  Believe it or not, we have used it 3 times this tax season.  People are getting notices for not filing for many years, and the IRS asked for the old returns to be filed.

When Win10 is forced upon us, I will also keep a WIN7 machine in the network for just the same reason.  Those years from 2006 and forward that are not WIN10 compatible, will stay on that machine.

This process is easier than trying to get old programs to work with the new OS.

• Like 3

As Jack said, this is what I would do.  I would keep my Windows 7 machine on the network and using it as needed until the MS stops updating it. Then, I would turn it off and turn it on ONLY when I really need and then turn it off again. I will have the password handy because after you don't use it for a while it is easy to forget the password. Also I would have the installation codes handy for years 2016 and on since those years have password security when opening them.

• Like 3

https://myatx.blogspot.com/2018/04/windows-10-april-2018-update-releases.html?q=windows+10

Microsoft is releasing a content update to Windows 10. These content updates can potentially make your software not open as designed temporarily

No thanks!
Others reported printers and other peripherals not working after Win10 updates. I just need my OS to work and stay out of my way.
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

I run VMWare and have a virtual XP machine for old software, if needed. It's not as simple as having an old XP machine around, but it works.

The XP machine I originally had, for many years, had a serious heart attack of the motherboard.

Imagine the struggle for me to find another XP machine with the associated drivers for the motherboard, and legitimate install codes.  I finally got  the system to access the internet, so I could put it on the network.  It was touch and go for a while.....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

https://myatx.blogspot.com/2018/04/windows-10-april-2018-update-releases.html?q=windows+10

Microsoft is releasing a content update to Windows 10. These content updates can potentially make your software not open as designed temporarily

No thanks!
Others reported printers and other peripherals not working after Win10 updates. I just need my OS to work and stay out of my way.

I am going to put a WIN10 workstation in our network, so I can learn all of its idiosyncrasies. Which version of WIN10 should I get, in your opinion?