ATX Community

For New York State Drake users

Naveen Mohan from New York

I am trying to replicate my 2017 tax return done with ATX Max in Drake 2017 evaluation version and I am running into couple problems where I cannot find answer in Drake KB.

New York Sate allows $ 20,000 private pension deduction for individual taxpayers over 59 1/2 years old. I have followed the instruction as follow:

On 1099-R I have put pension type %.

On New York State pension override I have put the amount "Portion that qualify for subtraction".

I have double checked date of birth

But program still will not enter the deduction in New York IT-201 form.

What am I missing?

In S corporation return, it will not let me pay New York State corporation return by direct draft.

In PMT screen I have selected A for state/city selection.

I have entered bank RTN and account number

But program still will not do direct draft.

Is it because I have evaluation version of program or am I missing any steps.

Thanks for your help.

Naveen Mohan  

To my knowledge the $20,00 pension exclusion is automatic based on the  birthdate! I take this deduction for many of my clients as well as myself and you cannot edit this field on the NYS return. Did you check the birthdate carefully and make certain that it represents 55 1/2?

I'm not sure about the S Corp payment screen, it may have something to do with the evaluation copy?

I would call the support line and I am certain they will know all of your answers in a reasonable amount of time.

Good luck!

Mike D, do you also have to use the PSNS screen for this NY subtraction to be automatic, or is the only input on the 1099R screen?

Naveen, the evaluation program should be fully functional in all aspects with the exception of items related to e-filing since, and since the payment by any electronic means would require processing through that service, my guess is that is the reason the direct draft is not processing.  Once you purchase either the unlimited version or pay-by-return, you'll be able to e-file and process payments.  Sometimes the date of payment can cause trouble too, because usually the date of withdrawal for payment can't be the same date it is submitted;  dating the withdrawal one day later usually solves the problem.