ATX Community

NT-Computer is messed up

NECPA in NEBRASKA

I have been researching this on my own, but I can't seem to get by my Symantec Encryption program. AVG did an update and said that it needed to restart my computer. It appears that it corrupted my Windows user profile. I can get past the Encryption program, but can't figure out how to get into Safe Mode before Windows. This is so frustrating for me, because I'm not even sure that my regular IT guys will be able to help. They installed the Encryption program, but they aren't retailers for it. I did not know that until after it was installed. I will call them in the morning, but I was hoping that I could get back running on my own.  I am also sick of having anti-virus updates cause problems for me. This is not the first time. I guess I will have to look for another.

Thanks!

Bonnie

Don't know if this will help you, I found this for starting in safe mode when running Symantec Endpoint Encryption: https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.HOWTO63839.html

Description

If you need to force a safe mode boot on Symantec Endpoint Encryption Full Disk edition (SEE-FD) there are a few options.

Normally, pressing F8 while booting to Windows allows us to enter the Windows Advanced Options menu, but in some cases USB attached keyboards and mice may not respond after authentication to SEE at this time. In this situation, there are two methods to use to force the machine to boot to Safe Mode.

1. Have a Client Administrator login at the pre-Windows authentication prompt and check the box for "Safe Mode Reboot". Registered Users may also be allowed to initiate a Safe Mode Reboot, but this option may be restricted by an administrator.
  2. Obtain the latest version of the Recover Utility (v. 8.2.0b) from Technical Support. This option can be used for machines in which the pre-Windows authentication prompt is not enforced.

The recent version of the recover utility contains the Safe Mode Reboot option, and after selecting this option and authenticating with a Client Administrator credential, the machine will reboot and allow you to press F8 to enter Safe Mode

• Like 3

Thanks, Judy! I will try this. I am so upset that I am obviously not searching correctly. I was still trying to get through the Microsoft options and then I got on the treadmill to work out my issues. My sister is going on vacation this week and my Mom has doctor and therapy appointments every day this week, so I am really upset about trying to get my work done.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Not that it helps you NOW, but I've always made sure there are at least TWO user accounts with admin privileges on any computer.  They may be "Catherine" and "Catherine2" or something.  That way, you have the option of logging in to the *other* account to try and fix whatever mess has been made.  In fact, that completely saved my bacon a good decade ago when my main machine seized up three weeks before the end of season.  I didn't have it set up; a friend of my husband who is an IT guy came over after work and spent hours (first trying to fix the mess and then) setting up a new user account and just copying all the pertinent data over.  Ugh, it was nasty.  But it worked!  What I don't know is how to do that with encryption already on the disk.  

• Like 3

Catherine,

I had no idea that I needed to have more users on my work computer. The encryption method is confusing, because it looks like someone that is not me has to log on so I'm probably taking it in to the computer hospital. This IRS mandated encryption is a good idea, but it makes everything above my head to fix anything.

• Like 1

On my own computer, I use VeraCrypt for encrypted drives, but I've heard Windows 10's built-in Bitlocker works well too.

My feeling is that the antivirus software from the major companies is so bloated and intrusive that it often causes more problems than it prevents.

Whatever you do for encryption, make sure you learn about what is available for recovery methods and implement them before enabling the encryption.  

• Like 3

Going back to what Katherine suggested, this is what I do:

I have a regular user account named admin and that's what I use for my daily work. Then I have an account called receptionist and another called user123 and those two accounts are admin accounts. If my profile is not working, then I log on as receptionist or user123 to fix any issues.

I forgot to mention that a lot of corporations are using bitlocker which is built in encryption from Microsoft on versions other than home for Win7 and Win10

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NECPA in NEBRASKA said:

I could not even get to Windows because the AVG update corrupted my user profile. I just got the call that it is back up and running again. It took them longer than they expected because of Symantec encryption. I am ecstatic, because I was envisioning a new computer and restoring everything.

Been there and done that.  I loved Symantec, but to be honest I am scared of it.  I do plan on using the one that came with Windows 10 just as soon as I can get some help setting it up.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NECPA in NEBRASKA said:

This Symantec Encryption is a huge pain in the butt. 

Never, ever, EVER use their whole-disk encryption with partition software.  Ask me how I know - closest I've ever come to a stress-induced heart attack/stroke/breakdown.  EIGHT DAYS without a computer.  In mid-March.  Several years ago.  I could still cower under my desk, just thinking about it...  It works perfectly, until it doesn't.  At which point you have a boat anchor instead of a computer.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Catherine said:

Never, ever, EVER use their whole-disk encryption with partition software.  Ask me how I know - closest I've ever come to a stress-induced heart attack/stroke/breakdown.  EIGHT DAYS without a computer.  In mid-March.  Several years ago.  I could still cower under my desk, just thinking about it...  It works perfectly, until it doesn't.  At which point you have a boat anchor instead of a computer.

Catherine, How do I know if I have partition software? I'm sorry to be such a dummy. I used to feel somewhat competant about my computers, but this is throwing me for a loop and I am petrified that this will happen again. I know that getting hacked is the worst thing that could ever happen to me, but I'm about ready for the good old days of 1979 when I was preparing returns in pencil before review.

• Like 1

When I got my latest computer (W10), I called Symantec to see if they were up to date.  They saw my version/build number and said their Encryption software was not yet ready for my computer.  So I used BitLocker.  I do have the Symantec software program though.   I use it to shred individual files, especially on flashdrives and external HDs.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Tax Prep by Deb said:

How difficult was it to set up the bitlocker?  I want to use it but I am so afraid of messing something up.

I'm not sure when you have had the computer for a while.  It was easy for me because I encrypted my whole disk (Drive C) and my 2nd disk (Drive E) when I first got the computer before I put anything on it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tax Prep by Deb said:

How difficult was it to set up the bitlocker?  I want to use it but I am so afraid of messing something up.

Super easy. It takes a short while to perform the initial encryption, depending on drive size and speed, but you basically just turn it on and give it a nice long password and you're all set. Make sure you save your recovery key someplace safe.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Catherine said:

That plus the nice long password!  Take 'em home and stick 'em in your sock drawer.  Make sure the note says "Joe & Sally" somewhere so even if it's found it looks like it's not yours.

You can also save the recovery key to your MS account on line.  You would need a 2nd computer or device to access your account.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

I like to password protect files that contain passwords. Then I just need to remember the password.

Absolutely!  I have one such file, on an encrypted drive, password-protected, that I use to keep the historical info for all those sites where you have to keep such records.  Last time I checked,  it was over 27 pages long.  I've had that one file for over twenty years now.  Page and a half a year?