ATX Community

CPE recommendation?

Catherine

Everybody's different.  I find most seminars a colossal wast of valuable time, usually because the pace is boring.  I've attended a few that were truly interesting, but they're the exception rather than the rule.  And the valuable time consumed traveling to and from is a total waste.   Online works best for me. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, JohnH said:

Everybody's different...most seminars...a colossal wast of valuable time...the pace is boring...a few...interesting, but...exception rather than the rule...valuable time consumed traveling...a total waste.   Online works best... 

Ha, Ha! :D - I love an unbiased assessment, John. But I suspect we'll all go on with our preferences - Jack with "in person", Max with Sequoia, me with California, and you with online.  For outstanding commentary, I herewith suggest your rating be upped from Supreme Guruness to, umm, maybe...Grand Poobah.

P.S. Say Catherine, couldn't y'all just "identify as a man" and stand in the short line.  I cain't think of anybody who'd object.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just attended a performance where the handicapped bathroom was separate.  I'm using a cane now (hip replacement scheduled for November).  Women were going in Women or Handicapped in order.  But, I waved my cane and cut the line in front of healthy women to go into Handicapped.  Not sure if I can cut the line to a handicapped stall in an otherwise combined women's restroom with one long line out the door.  But, I guess I'll find out soon.

Last summer on our way home from ASP, the men's room emptied out so we women started using it with one woman stationed outside in case nonASP civilian men came by.  But, the ladies' room thinned out, our "guard" went in, and I exited the men's room to a large group of boys looking very confused !!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Just received a phone call and then the email follow-up below.  Have NOT used them.

If you have a few minutes, please click on the links and take a look at the online courses we have in the 2019 All Access Tax Library.  I know you’d appreciate the quality and diversity of our on demand video seminars with Arthur Reed.   Lambers Review is an approved IRS education provider and offers one of a kind online self-study video courses to accounting professionals nationwide.   The reason we are contacting the EAs now is to offer them an opportunity to freeze the cost of their education going forward.  We’ve had a number of CPA and Tax Preparation Offices calling in for individual TCJA courses for training and ce credits and they end up taking advantage of the 3 and 5 year promotion to get the costs down for both credits and research.  Sort of an insurance policy no matter what Washington throws at us next.

Online, on demand learning has come a long way and is considered the preferred method of study for working professionals today. Convenience is the key and our line of products gives you that and more.  

• Study anytime, anywhere, 24/7!
  • No need to attend expensive classes or a live seminar that requires
  • travel and a strict schedule/attendance
  • Courses provide you the information you need when you need it
  • All CE and certification courses are reported directly to the IRS for you based on your PTIN number to ensure you get credit for each
  • A thorough and searchable video library of all the various tax codes, laws, and forms you may have questions about throughout the year

For more information regarding our IRS Approved Continue Education courses Click here   You can view a quick video sample on the right of the page.                                        

With more than 50 years of exemplary training and certification support to the accounting industry, there are few scenarios outside our scope of expertise.  

If you like what you see and want to proceed with an order, call me directly for your special promotional pricing. 

To Your Success,

Catherine Sullivan

Financial Certification Consultant

800.272.0707 Ext 256

• Like 2

And, now the below.  I HAVE used NATP webinars and learned a lot.

Unlimited tax education worth 250+ CPE

NATP logo

NATP Banner

Up to 250+ Online CPE
Unlimited online CPE packages offer education you can take anytime

You read that correctly; we’re offering UNLIMITED online CPE. This means you no longer have to worry about picking and choosing which 2018 webinars, self-study courses or online workshops you want to purchase – you can access them all.

Our three package options, All-Inclusive Access, Unlimited Webinar Access and Unlimited Self-Study Access, have something for everyone. Each 2018 package is designed to meet you where you’re at and how you like to learn, whether it’s through interactive activities, by listening to an instructor and answering questions or a combination of both.

It’s not too late to register for one of these packages. Make the commitment to unlimited education today!

NOTE: Nonmembers receive free NATP membership with the purchase of any unlimited online CPE package. 

CPE Approved Provider

NASBALogo.png

CTECLogo.png

IRSLogo.png

National Association of Tax Professionals (NATP)
PO Box 8002, Appleton, WI  54912-8002

fF0yfZPYD0RLLYFu3Tpqgg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lion EA said:

I exited the men's room to a large group of boys looking very confused

One of my college dorms had mixed-gender bathrooms on a couple of floors.  It was very weird at first, but we all got used to it.  I would strongly prefer not to do that again - OTOH, my girls and I have done the "stand guard" thing by the men's room on occasion.  LOL.

How about CCH?

Upcoming Webinars from Wolters Kluwer

Wolters Kluwer and NAEA have joined together to provide exclusive offers to Wolters Kluwer's CCH CPELink platform. Hundreds of courses over a broad range of topics make it easy to find CPE relevant to your professional development, while the Compliance Manager makes it easy to actively monitor your CPE deadlines and mandatory subject requirements so you don't have to. Consider these upcoming webinars

Title

Date

CE

Taxation of Employee Stock & Stock Options

Wednesday, September 5, 2018

How Innocent Does the Innocent Spouse Have to Be

Thursday, September 6, 2018

When Your Client Dies: Final Form 1040, Post-Death Elections and More

Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Form 990: Functional Expense Reporting and Grantmaking

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Tax Treatment of Individual Retirement Arrangements

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Family Trusts: Planning to Preserve, Protect and Transfer Wealth for Your Clients 

Thursday, September 20, 2018

• Like 2

On 8/30/2018 at 7:50 PM, JohnH said:

Everybody's different.  I find most seminars a colossal wast of valuable time, usually because the pace is boring.  I've attended a few that were truly interesting, but they're the exception rather than the rule.  And the valuable time consumed traveling to and from is a total waste.   Online works best for me. 

You cannot network with other professionals, from other locations, if you do online seminars.  Nothing gives me more practical and usable information than one one one dialogue with professionals from other states, counties and cities.

No matter how much you brag up the "benefits" of webinars, none are equal to the one on one networking you can get, (unless you act like a hermit) from attending a live seminar, or forum.  

It is the reason I make the time, and budget the money.  It is a cost of having a professional, & informed business.

• Haha 1

I like my local NY/CT-ATP for networking in my area and the CCH User Conference to meet staff (a biz card with a direct line to a tech support manager is my treasure); both give outstanding courses with nationally-known instructors. But, I don't learn much from preparers out of my area, too many geographical differences.  When I find a single topic I like/need, I try to get it as a webinar so as not to waste time traveling for only 1-2 CEs. I read everything I can (all those journals that come with my memberships), take webinars/archived webinars, and local and CCH live courses, a little bit of everything, depending on my needs each year. For example, this year with hip replacement approaching, I'm not traveling to seminars, just the local ones and online.

• Like 5

Every practitioner has his/her preferences for how they obtain their CPE and what they look for in the way of results. I have long ago stopped at going to these for-profit factories of national programs, as they are primarily in business to use registration lists as feeders for other products and services they provide.  My preferences at this point are either online webinars sponsored by or associated with professional societies that are geared towards issues effecting a great majority of its members, as well as self-study CPE purchased from certain specific publishers I have great satisfaction from because their references materials are excellent so long as the law remains unchanged. Yes - I do use cpaacademy.com because the courses are free.

• Like 6

People have differences in how they absorb and retain information, and hopefully we are utilizing those methods that suit each of us best.  Most of my CPE now comes from webinars and self-study, and I don't miss the the higher prices, travel, or distractions from other participants for some of the exact same seminars that I take online.

This year I purchased an unlimited package that includes both webinars and for self-study, NOT because I need more credits and certainly NOT to buy credits, but because I have access to this company's entire catalog of materials that are excellent reference materials. That's a huge bonus on top of the CPE credits that I EARN and makes the price all the more reasonable.  

• Like 5

On 8/27/2018 at 7:41 PM, Jack from Ohio said:

Those  that get live schooling, and then associated CPE, are easy to spot in a group.

Hey that reminds me of a post a couple years ago where a member here was spotted in a photo while snoozing at a live seminar.  Personally, I prefer webinars so I can snooze at my own desk. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

Since we're still beating this dead horse, I'll toss in another lick.  One of my pet peeves about seminars (of any type) has always been the Q&A time.  Occasionally there are good questions on important matters. Usually there are also some questions asked about complex or unusual singular situations which have narrow application and have virtually no relevance for 99% of the people in attendance.  But almost every seminar has someone who asks a question they already know the answer to (or at least they think they do), with their primary purpose being to try and trip up the presenter in a vain attempt to impress everyone else in the room with their superior knowledge.  🙄  They're usually easy to spot, and that's generally when I get up and leave (unless the signup sheet is held to the end).  🏃‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, JohnH said:

But almost every seminar has someone who asks a question they already know the answer to (or at least they think they do), with their primary purpose being to try and trip up the presenter in a vain attempt to impress everyone else in the room with their superior knowledge.  🙄  They're usually easy to spot, and that's generally when I get up and leave (unless the signup sheet is held to the end).  🏃‍♂️

No one from our ATX Community Family would ever do this though, John.  🤪  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, JohnH said:

...But almost every seminar has someone who asks a question...

One more lick: Last one I went to a couple of years ago there was (always, always is) someone who didn't ask during Q&A, but waited until the monotone speaker announced, "Oh, it's break time; let's reconvene in 15 minutes..." at which time everybody who's been bored out of their gourd for the last two hours is closing books, limbering up, attempting to get launched and stumble to the refreshments table for caffeine and pastries.  It's right at this exact moment that some %$^#*&@ blurts out "Wait; I didn't quite get that last point; would you expand on the new Tax Court ruling vis-à-vis IRS reg, code...."  A collective groan from the audience and the urge to strangle...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BLACK BART said:

One more lick: Last one I went to a couple of years ago there was (always, always is) someone who didn't ask during Q&A, but waited until the monotone speaker announced, "Oh, it's break time; let's reconvene in 15 minutes..." at which time everybody who's been bored out of their gourd for the last two hours is closing books, limbering up, attempting to get launched and stumble to the refreshments table for caffeine and pastries.  It's right at this exact moment that some %$^#*&@ blurts out "Wait; I didn't quite get that last point; would you expand on the new Tax Court ruling vis-à-vis IRS reg, code...."  A collective groan from the audience and the urge to strangle...

Bingo!

That's my cue to head for the door, even if it's at the front of the room.  I don't mind being disruptive at that point. 

• Like 2

I have to admit that I've always had a preference for live courses, but this year the changes are so immense I've decided to immerse myself in any and all types of courses so I get enough exposure for the new stuff to sink in.  Like all of you I'm sure, I've been bombarded recently with offers for unlimited CPEs from groups I've never heard of, and I'm tempted to sign up with at least one.  Judy said she likes one in particular but didn't name it.  Please tell us!  Any specific recommendations for any of these providers?   

• Like 2