ATX Community

E-fax recommendations

Tax Prep by Deb

I recently moved and my new home office is much smaller than previous.  I have always had a separate fax machine and was able to set things up so that my office line and fax line were the same.  Never had a problem.  Since the move however I decided to use my Cannon all in one and everything works as it should however at times when I answer the phone and start talking about 30 seconds into the conversation the fax takes over.  Starts out as a hit and miss thing then goes to every call coming in.  Problem started when I bought a new phone system.  Trying a different phone system now but was wondering if I can't make it work what you might suggest for an e-fax service.  I am definitely not high volume but at times do fax several pages for clients.  

Any suggestions?

I have used RingCentral for years. They are reliable and only cost about $12.99 per month. I think I started using them in 2007 and have had no reason to change. In case you're interested, they also have VOIP phone services. My business line is part of my package with Verizon so for $9.95 per month, I can't beat it. I know some folks hate links but here is a link to their site.

https://www.ringcentral.com/sem/fax.html?BMID=GGECUSEP&CID=sem&RCCN=Google_US_Search_Brand_Exact&RCAG=AAA_Brand_High_Volume_Fax_[Exact]&RCKW=ring central fax&RCMT=e&AD=247353180181&gclid=CjwKCAjw5ZPcBRBkEiwA-avvk_8I5SREPNOQyDcg1Wn62-A4yu_1lDkuYtJ5PVAJ7jAZRPBSxdUDiBoCy-kQAvD_BwE

• Like 1

I use VOIPO,

It cost $36 per year, 500 minutes incoming/outgoing faxes per month. You receive your faxes via email. You send your faxes by scanning your documents and save the file to your pc. Log into your VOIPO account and upload the file from your pc.  You can port your number for free. I've used them for 7 years and had no problems. The service is their cloud voip service and their website is voipo.com

• Like 1

I've used eFax since I went out on my own.  They have a free service, but I upgraded so I could choose my own number.  I pay annually to get a break in price.  Faxes go to my email of choice, are stored electronically on their server and my desktop, and can be viewed/sent from any computer with an internet connection.  I had one minor problem, but they talked me through it quickly.  eFax.com

I started out with eFax about 13 years ago. We use these services for both our faxes and voice mails. The quality of the voice messages on efax was poor and then they got expensive and started billing me a lot for so-called overages, so I switched to MaxEmail. I loved MaxEmail for many years, but then they sold out to... wait for it... EFAX! I didn't think I would stay with efax but they've kept the price I was paying for MaxEmail and we haven't had any quality problems.

Just renewed for another year at $84 for fax and voice mail combined. Not sure what a new user would pay.

I can view faxes and listen to voice mail from any device by going to their website. I also download voice mail files to client's folders, when they give me any vital information.

We have two lines and even when both are in use, you almost never get a busy signal and can send us a fax or leave a voice message.

2 hours ago, Tax Prep by Deb said:

One of my concerns is with security.  How do these services differ from just using email?

I use efax a lot, because I have to send and receive documents to and from the IRS and they do not do email.  Neither does the CA FTB.  However, when I receive their docs, it comes through email, so security wise, apparently, it is no different.

I understand that , starting sometime next month, the IRS is going to truncate SSN's, Names, and addresses, so that should greatly increase security, at least coming from their end.  

My computer is hardwired, not wifi, so when I send/receive faxes/email they are safer than wifi, just like using my free-standing fax/all-in-one machine that's hardwired. But, nothing is totally safe.

I usually use FileShare and encourage my clients to use it also, because it's hosted by CCH, the same that e-files their tax returns. Again, nothing is totally safe, but FileShare makes my clients and me feel more comfortable.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tax Prep by Deb said:

One of my concerns is with security.  How do these services differ from just using email?

With the services I've used, you can set it to just send you a notification email. Then you login in to the website to download the fax. We used to get them as email attachments but I decided that was not secure enough.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

We use a fax modem to send faxes using windows' built in fax program. We only use efax for receiving faxes.

Wow! I thought the modem went the way of B&W TV.  The last time I used one was in 1978.  It was 300 bauds/s.  It took so long to paint the screen I could shave and brush my teeth, while it was doing so. 😂

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Max W said:

the modem went the way of B&W TV

You can still get a fax card (with phone jack) to install in your computer.  You need a free slot, and you need to put a phone cord in it.  Very convenient to send straight from the computer.  Not so convenient if you have to manually sign something, which would then need to be scanned in.  It's not always possible to add an image of a signature to a file, or (more often) to a form with boxes.  Too easy to cover a box's line, and then it's obvious it's an image.