ATX Community

Question for the IT guru's

ILLMAS

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 1:44 PM, Abby Normal said:

It's possible to just encrypt your data drive, but not recommended. Many programs (ATX, QuickBooks, Thunderbird email, etc.) store data on the C drive by default. And I can't really think of any downside to encrypting all your partitions. I have 5 partitions and encrypted them all.

I love the type of statement that I am going to make. When the encryption software says that it is going to encrypt only data, it means it will encrypt the programs and data. I know that statement will have some reactions... but c'est la vie!!!

ILLMAS, you can encrypt the whole "container" and that's called "whole hard drive encryption". Each time before the computer access the hard drive, you will enter a PIN.  Once you have entered the PIN, the hard drive is wide open and it is business as normal, except that the data you will be saving will encrypted because you will be saving it on an encrypted Hard drive. So having your hard drive encrypted, will not interfere with your programs because your programs will be active on a wide open hard drive like right now that your don't have an encryption software.

This is what encryption is: It seals the hard drive and also some of them move the master boot record. Since you have the hard drive without encryption, if someone steals your hard drive or computer, they could easily be put on another computer as a second hard drive and they can see all your data.  If they steal your whole computer, they have two ways of getting to your data, one is by using a program and getting either an account created on your OS or by changing the admin password on your OS, the other is by putting your hard drive on another computer as a second hard drive.  If you encrypt the hard drive, they will be able to format your hard drive but they will not be able to see your data.

Please encrypt using bitlocker since it is built-in on Win 7 and up as long as you don't your home edition. Save the recovery key dearly because if you forget your PIN or if your computer doesn't boot up, you will NEED IT BADLY.