ATX Community

N/T - The 8867 from 2025

Edsel

The IRS has released questions which will appear on the 8867 by the year 2025.  These are the people who insist that tax preparers are not auditors.

1. Do you maintain a file with the fingerprints of taxpayer and all dependents?
  2. If taxpayer files a schedule E for rental property, do you maintain a file containing closing statements of his initial purchase price and invoices for all improvements made since inception?
  3. Do you research from all juridictions the online property taxation records to confirm property taxes deducted?  Do you keep records of your research?
  4. If taxpayer files a schedule C, do you maintain a file containing hard copy invoices to support all expenses including supplies, repairs, and other deductions?
  5. Do you maintain copies of all mortgage loans to support interest deducted on Sch A as well as cancelled checks or bank statements assuring that the payments were actually paid?
  6. ...
  7. ...
  8. ...
  9. ...
  10. 38...Please be advised that in the event all of the above are not maintained when your records are examined that the preparer penalty has been increased to embody all taxes that would have been assessed against the taxpayer, and the taxpayer will not be assessed.

How much more of this are we as a group going to put up with from an agency who claim we are not supposed to be auditors?  I've heard elaborate arguments that we are not really performing audits.  Can we not recognize the devil when we see him?  Get real.  I'm ready to support a noncompliance movement en masse, and let the IRS auditors do their job.

• Like 1

I'm still very curious as to where you obtained this information.  Your post says "The IRS has released questions which will appear on the 8867 by the year 2025".    To whom?  Where can I find the release?  If it isn't public, then where did you get it?

I want to see where the IRS has released these questions.  I need to see it now as I'm trying to put together a retirement plan.  If this is valid, I need to know as this will probably tip the scale in favor or earlier rather than later retirement.  It's important that I can verify what you posted now and not in seven years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Max W said:

I think we are being spoofed by Edsel.  

I can't believe anyone thought I was serious.  Good grief, folks...

I hope others read with the understanding of what is progressing with the mentality of the IRS.

"The IRS released a statement that they will be cutting their audit staff from 10,000 in 2017 to only 100 in 2025.  The commissioner stated that the accumulated savings of millions of dollars will be passed on the taxpayers..."

I hope readers understand this is a spoof too...

"Bell ringers??"  noncompute...

• Like 1

Of course I didn't believe your post was serious.  One spoof deserves another.  

My concern is that the upcoming tax season is going to be somewhat of a gray area with all of the changes.  If you post that the "IRS released a statement", then that's maybe not so funny.  Better to present yourself as a conduit with a Deep Throat rogue IRS agent who feeds you this information in a dark underground parking garage.

• Like 3

• jklcpa changed the title to N/T - The 8867 from 2025