ATX Community

Where are they now? - RE: Above the line adjustments under TCJA

Edsel

No, I'm not asking about Gilligan, Dirty Harry, or Jaclyn Smith.

I'm asking about the items in the "adjustment" section of the postcard 1040...Did these survive the new tax law?

• The "teacher" deduction of $250...
  • Occupational expenses of certain artists, reservists, fee-basis government officials...
  • Moving expenses
  • Self-employed health insurance deduction
  • Penalty on early withdrawal of savings
  • Alimony paid (I heard this one is gone)
  • Student loan interest deduction
  • Tuition and fees.
  • Domestic production activities (I think this one is gone, if indeed it was ever clear anyway)

Some of these may be gone, but under pressure from lobbyists for vested interests, may be resurrected.  Incredibly, this could take place up to April 15th of next year.  I don't begrudge anyone for maintaining these deductions, but it's funny how every time congress caves in to these special interest, they never react in such a way as to address the resulting deficit.

3 hours ago, Evan S. Golar said:

The IRS has released questions which will appear on the 8867 by the year 2025.  These are the people who insist that tax preparers are not auditors.

Careful Mr. Golar - statements such as the above could subject you to the scorn of fellow comrades, identification with moral turpitude and worst of all, the dreaded "thumbs down" by other members, formerly reserved for Edsel and a few other ill-respected sources.  You might have even destroyed any hope you have of being a "Tax Afficianado" - this board's version of designated knighthood...

• Like 1

I believe the topic is worthy of discussion.  Thank you CBSLee for the only response thus far.

I'm asking about the items in the "adjustment" section of the postcard 1040...Did these survive the new tax law?

• The "teacher" deduction of $250...
  • Occupational expenses of certain artists, reservists, fee-basis government officials...
  • Moving expenses
  • Self-employed health insurance deduction
  • Penalty on early withdrawal of savings
  • Alimony paid (I heard this one is gone)
  • Student loan interest deduction
  • Tuition and fees.
  • Domestic production activities (I think this one is gone, if indeed it was ever clear anyway)

Thank you Mr. Golar.

By all rights and responsibilities I should research these questions on my own and not depend on fellow members.  The problem is all the resources are in publications of hundreds of pages, and I often come to this forum to save time.  Plus the language in publications is often hard to understand. 

.  Often the gurus on this board will give me plain English answers.

Concerning the changes pertaining to alimony -

• The new law will NOT affect those already paying or receiving alimony under existing agreements.
  • The new rules generally apply to divorce and separation agreements executed after December 31, 2018 and prior agreements modified on January 1, 2019 and thereafter IF those modifications expressly state that the new rules apply to those modifications.

Below is the actual text from the relevant section of the Act itself:

Sec 11051 (c) EFFECTIVE DATE

—The amendments made by this section shall apply to—

(1) any divorce or separation instrument (as defined in section 71(b)(2) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 as in effect before the date of the enactment of this Act) executed after December 31, 2018, and

(2) any divorce or separation instrument (as so defined) executed on or before such date and modified after such date if the modification expressly provides that the amendments made by this section apply to such modification.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2018 at 4:08 AM, Evan S. Golar said:

I don't care about the knighthood - apparently you can't take it when the joke is on you.  Apparently it's okay to tease others on this board - but when it's done to you you can't take it.

As Judge Judy says, "that fits into the category of "too bad"

Edsel's reply was purely tongue in cheek and he even pokes fun at himself.  I do not know what you are taking offense to.  Yes, I say he can "take it" and rather gracefully.

• Like 1

• jklcpa changed the title to Where are they now? - RE: Above the line adjustments under TCJA