ATX Community

Dell Computers - Good Bad or Indiferent

BulldogTom

Pricing out new computers for next year.   Looking at Dell.  

Desktop is an XPS tower with Win 10 Pro, 4 - 256 SSD's and 32 GB Ram.   I think I like that combo.  I can get it with 64GB ram, but I can also upgrade it to 64 at any time in the future. 

Laptop is the Inspiron 17.3" with Win 10 Pro, 16GB and a 2 TB 5400 RPM SATA hard drive.   Wish it had SSD but I can't seem to find a 17.3 on Dell site with SSD and 32GB.  Anyone have a recommendation on the laptop?

Price is not the object.   These are both in my price range at just over 3K for both, but I am leary of the laptop.   I think I am going to be disappointed with it.

I have to move this year.  8GB ram is just not cutting it.   Tried to open 2 returns in the 2017 software today and it would not do it for lack of resources.

@Eric   you want to build me what I want?   Do you still do that kinda stuff?

Tom
Modesto, CA

I will only own Dell.  The configurations you are looking at will be so much faster and better than what you have.  If you truly want the SSD I am sure on the Dell website you can have one built that way.  They give you pricing on the basic configuration but you can almost always upgrade, you might want to check out both sides, the personal and the business.  I have bounced back and forth to get what I wanted.  Also I couldn't agree more with ILLMAS's comment about getting it at Costco or Sam's Club.  My last couple of computers have come from there and when I did have a problem they were great to work with in resolving it.  I trust Costco completely on my electronics and slowly gaining the same trust with Sam's Club.  I've never bought big ticket items from them simply because unitl I moved I had to travel too far if I needed to return it.  Now I have two Costco's and one Sam's Club within 15 miles of my home!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, BulldogTom said:

I have to move this year.  8GB ram is just not cutting it.   Tried to open 2 returns in the 2017 software today and it would not do it for lack of resources.

ATX will only address 1 GB or RAM unless you install and run the Large Address Aware 3rd party utility.

This is where I found it: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/large-address-aware.112556/

Large Address Aware Utility Instructions
After installing, switch into Advanced Mode, add recent ATX.exe files, set LAA and Original to True using the 'With Selected' menu.

laa.JPG.32f560bf7541f798c19f481117710caa.JPG

You will still get the message that you can't open a second return, but ATX will not slow down when it goes over 1 GB of RAM. I used to have to close and restart ATX while working on larger returns and definitely before printing.

The problem with buying  systems at Costco or Sams Club is that the internal components may be of lower quality to achieve a desirable price point.

I have purchased Dell systems thru Dell online for over 20 years without any problems,

except that my current Win 7 Pro 64 bit system will have graphics driver problems several times a month.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

I prefer to build computers and replace parts as they fail. Just rebuilt one in the office with a new motherboard, CPU and power supply, but the old SSD was still good, so I didn't have to spend 3 days configuring windows, installing programs, configuring programs and restoring data.

I used to build computers thinking that it would be easier to replace parts, but DELL made me change my mind for two reasons: 

1.- I cannot build a computer and spend less than the price DELL charges.

2. DELL has a next day service for 3 years free on most purchases and you can add warranty to 5 or 7 years if you want for an additional (reasonable) fee.

In your case, DELL would replace the power supply and MOBO the next business day. AND it would be harder for me to find a similar MOBO vs DELL finding a MOBO that will not need any drivers when replaced.

• Like 1

I have a Dell T1700 that I purchased about three years ago.  This will hopefully be my fourth tax season using the desktop.  I normally replace my systems every three years but I'm going to see if I can get a fourth out of this one.  Fingers crossed.  

It has treated me well. There have been no issues although I'm starting to detect a little slowness.    

• Like 1

I don't mind building computers, but I would feel badly if a component were to fail.  I think you're better off buying from someone local, or from Dell so that you can get service if something goes wrong.

For the laptop, if the requirements are 17" and Dell, you have a couple options.  XPS doesn't come in 17" which is unfortunate because the Dell XPS laptops are really high quality and feel great to use--great keyboards, great trackpads, quality materials and finish.  In my past experience, the Inspiron laptops feel like cheap flexy plastic crap, but maybe they're better now.

You could also get Alienware, which has been owned by Dell for a while.  They're obnoxiously styled to appeal to Gamers, but it's what's on the inside that counts and a computer that's good for gaming is generally also good for heavy workloads of any kind.  

It seems unimaginable that you wouldn't be able to configure a laptop with an SSD instead of an old spinning disk.  If you have trouble configuring the laptop the way you want online, then maybe it's worth calling them to order over the phone.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eric said:

It seems unimaginable that you wouldn't be able to configure a laptop with an SSD instead of an old spinning disk.  If you have trouble configuring the laptop the way you want online, then maybe it's worth calling them to order over the phone.  

Yes.  I bought from HP but when I custom my purchase on line, I then call and talk to a person to walk me thru it.

• Like 1

These are corporate laptops, but they are not cheap.

Precision 3520 Summary (higher version available but HD choices seem to be limited)

Starting Price $3,281.28

Total Savings $985.14

Price $2,296.14

512GB M.2 PCIe Solid State Drive Class 40
32GB, DDR4-2400MHz SDRAM, 2 DIMMS, Non-ECC
3 Years ProSupport with Next Business Day Onsite Service
Intel Core i7-7820HQ (Quad Core 2.90GHz, 3.90GHz Turbo, 8MB 35W, w/Intel HD Graphics 630)

******        ***************                    ********************                ***************************

A similar Latitude 7490 with 16GB of RAM will cost you:

Latitude 7490
Starting at Price  $2,991.86

Total Savings  $897.56
Dell Price $2,094.30

I own three laptops and all are Dells. Two were purchased refurbished with new RAM and SSD (will never go back to a regular HD after going to SSD).

Why would you need 32GB unless you are playing video games or manipulating audio / video / photos? Mine all have 8GB and never have any real slowing. I'll run 2 different tax programs, citrix and listen to audio all on it at the same time without any real slowing.

Lenovo crapped out on me quickly with the plastic case falling apart right after the warranty died. Local guy told me it is pretty routine. HP is constantly bloated. My Sony was awesome - still play really old games on it. If I were going to try anything but Dell it would be Acer or Asus. We have one in the office to just run Citrix and it's been doing fine for 3 years.

• Like 2

Currently, 8GG is perfect, but within the next two or three years 8GB might not be enough. 16GB will be perfect at that time, so if you want to be safe, 32GB will be a perfect purchase. Remember, that a computer will last at least 5 years... who knows what computer power will programs demand in 4 years.

• Like 2

If my computer programs need 16GB in 4 years I'll either install more RAM or get a new computer. I never spend more than $500 on a laptop because I see them as essentially disposable products (I also only buy used cars). Most of the speed issue on a computer isn't the RAM it is the disk. Go with an SSD and you'll never go back. Just booted up an old traditional HD computer to get email for a co-worker on vacation - mind blowingly slow.

Amazon / Dell

or

Amazon Dell no 2

I have 3 somewhat like that running around my apartment and as a backup in my office. My primary laptop is very similar but purchased new (clearance). USB 3.0 is a really nice feature if you can find one with it. If my primary laptop dies, I could be up and running in about 2 hours. Calling tech support to move my security credentials would be the biggest time issue.

• Like 1

The Dell No 2 on your suggestion is a Latitude E-6430 which is very old. My little daughter uses a Latitude E-6440 and she uses it to play and watch videos, not as working tool.

I do think that I rather buy 2 or 3 DELLs with the price of an Apple. If one of my dell dies, I have one or two more to replace them. In your suggestions, if I apply my theory, I would buy at least 5 computers with the price of one from my suggestions.

I guess it is a matter of taste. Personally, I love when my computer boots up and opens ATX in less than 2 minutes.

• Like 2