ATX Community

Microsoft to charge monthly for Windows 7 updates

Abby Normal

They don't care.  I have Microsoft 7 and will refuse any updates, so they'll have to shut me down.

Use of the "cloud" enables big software companies to essentially charge "rent" to their users.  Gone are the days when they sent you a CD and you installed it.  Control has transferred from the user to the provider. 

Mass resistance or somehow an economic boycott is the only tool of organized users.  Without an organized network of users, they will continue to steamroll us.

• Like 1

What is meant by "Spataro confirmed these would only be offered to customers running Windows 7 Professional or Windows 7 Enterprise in Volume Licensing - aka large businesses."

I run Windows 7 Pro on my stand alone desk top.  I assume I'll still be charged a monthly fee?  I plan on upgrading prior to this, but just curious.

image.png.49b44f2bac6995eec3fc7cdf13c3e288.png

• Like 1

Get a grip, this is way overblown ! 

Microsoft is providing free extended support until January 15th, 2020 , when all support was scheduled to end, which was announced years ago.

Apparently they intend to offer paid  extended support for 3 extra years, which is exactly what they are still doing with XP on a contractual basis for the IRS

and other large institutions. Obviously they see a chance to make some extra profit due to the large number of Win 7 systems still up and running.

Captured aliens are being kept in Area 31 😁

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Yardley CPA said:

What is meant by "Spataro confirmed these would only be offered to customers running Windows 7 Professional or Windows 7 Enterprise in Volume Licensing - aka large businesses."

I run Windows 7 Pro on my stand alone desk top.  I assume I'll still be charged a monthly fee?  I plan on upgrading prior to this, but just curious.

image.png.49b44f2bac6995eec3fc7cdf13c3e288.png

I think they mean that people like us will not even have the option to pay for continued updates. You'll either have to move to 8 or 10.

• Thanks 1
  • Angry 1

11 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

I think they mean that people like us will not even have the option to pay for continued updates. You'll either have to move to 8 or 10.

The phrase in the original article of those that will receive this offer was poorly worded, and I think Abby is correct on this, that it won't be offered to most small businesses.

This was within one of the linked articles:

Worse still, as it stands, Microsoft is currently only making this offer to Windows 7 Professional customers in Volume Licensing. Some small businesses may qualify, but the vast majority of everyday consumers (most of whom are running Windows 7 Home) will not.

• Like 1
  • Angry 2