ATX Community

NT - quality of paper

schirallicpa

Is it just our very tropical like weather in the northeast this year, or has the quality of basic copy paper just gone right down the tubes.  Every print now I have to stand by the printer and monitor the paper as it all starts curling as it comes thru.  This is the same copy paper - same weight, as what I have purchased forever. (Sometimes Staples, sometimes hammermill ) But it seems a lot flimsier and it just keeps curling up.  I think instead of using folders, I can just roll up the returns in a tube.

• Like 4

I think it is the humidity from all of the rain we've had. It will absorb the moisture from the air and is then affected by the heat of the printer's fuser. I could feel that my paper was different a month ago when I refilled the printer's tray. It felt cool and I swore it also felt damp too.

• Like 3

Dry out the paper or anything else sensitive to moisture by making your own dessicant. The video shows making your own with a specific type of cat litter, or purchase loose silica gel beads at a local craft store, used for drying flowers.  If the silica beads have "indicator beads", those should be blue, and they turn pink after absorbing the moisture from the air. Those potentially can be dried out again in a slow oven or microwave.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The wrapper around each ream of paper is airtight.  The last process, at the paper plant, is to dry the paper to a specific percentage (Very low, compared to the air in your office), the wrapper keeps it dry, as long as it is not compromised.

Once the paper is open, if you are not going to use it within 48 hours, keep it in an airtight container.  Tupperware makes some dishes that fit a ream of paper just fine.

This applies to all paper that has been opened.

• Like 2