ATX Community

PTIN RENEWAL

BLACK BART

Received 10/10:

Dear Tax Professional,

Congratulations! To thank you for repeatedly renewing your Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN) early, you have the opportunity to renew your PTIN before the season opens to other tax return preparers. The PTIN system is ready to accept your renewal from today through Oct. 15. Should you miss this opportunity, you can still renew your PTIN during renewal season beginning later in the week.

1 hour ago, JRS said:

Received 10/10:

Dear Tax Professional,

Congratulations! To thank you for repeatedly renewing your Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN) early, you have the opportunity to renew your PTIN before the season opens to other tax return preparers. The PTIN system is ready to accept your renewal from today through Oct. 15. Should you miss this opportunity, you can still renew your PTIN during renewal season beginning later in the week.

OH Aren't you special....

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

What's the rush? It's on my calendar for late December every year.

The rush for me is I forgot to do it last year.  Got a letter this summer from IRS.  I quickly renewed and marked my calendar for this year.  I think the reason I forgot is that they did away with the fee and I must have assumed it was the registration altogether.

14 hours ago, JRS said:

Received 10/10:

Dear Tax Professional,

What ??? ... 

11 hours ago, Randall said:

The rush for me is I forgot to do it last year.  Got a letter this summer from IRS.  I quickly renewed and marked my calendar for this year.  I think the reason I forgot is that they did away with the fee and I must have assumed it was the registration altogether.

You really did this?  My fear is always that even when you try renewing early, some dope at IRS will louse it up or lose it or otherwise foul things up.  Since they generally can't solve anything in less than three months that would leave you without a renewed number until after the start of tax season.

I figured that the IRS EF people might not process your returns if the number wasn't renewed.  But you're saying you didn't get renewed last time, filed as usual, and EF gave you no problems - is that right?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BLACK BART said:

What ??? ... 

You really did this?  My fear is always that even when you try renewing early, some dope at IRS will louse it up or lose it or otherwise foul things up.  Since they generally can't solve anything in less than three months that would leave you without a renewed number until after the start of tax season.

I figured that the IRS EF people might not process your returns if the number wasn't renewed.  But you're saying you didn't get renewed last time, filed as usual, and EF gave you no problems - is that right?

Yes, didn't hear anything until late summer.  Got a telephone message while I was out, said I would be receiving a letter.  I called the PTIN people, an IRS rep said I would never get a call from an IRS rep but the message sounded legit.  She checked my account and I was not renewed.  I immediately renewed.  I did receive the letter a week or two later so the phone call must have been legit.

On 10/9/2018 at 8:51 AM, FDNY said:

I think I spoke too soon.  Thought I heard it was open and just now tried to renew but don't see how.

Ran into the same problem.

The Tax Pro web  page has a box on the right inviting you to reregister your PTIN.

Could it be that the programmer setting this up just forgot to complete it, took a vacation, died, or was abducted by the Russians to gain info for hacking the IRS website??  🤔

• Haha 2

Max, the invitation to renew 'early' was provided to a select number of PTIN holders, not to all.  I have no idea what criteria the IRS based their selection process on; I was not invited to renew 'early', and in fact don't plan to renew until early December.  By then I expect the kinks in their system to be worked out.

A "Select Few", huh?  What the heck does that mean?  All the IRS has done is to sow confusion and waste a lot of peoples time.  If it  was for beta testing,they should have said so and then take down the box inviting you to Renew.   By leaving the box up on the web page, one has to assume that the PTIN can be renewed.  

I am devastated that I wasn't considered special enough to get an invite to renew early!  I passed the EA exam in one shot, renew my PTIN and license faithfully, take all the required CPEs and then some (including 2+ friggin' hours of ethics every friggin' year), have never gotten a letter that the returns I prepare are suspicious, am nice to IRS auditors, even defend the agency when clients blame them for everything (blame Congress, I say).  In fact, I got my PTIN the very first year they were offered.  I am a model, exemplary, legacy PTIN holder and tax professional, so why was I so unfairly overlooked?  Daddy likes you more than he likes me!

PS. I used to renew in Dec because I didn't want to pay early.  I still do, so I would have deleted their early invite anyway.  Sour grapes?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 4:09 PM, cbslee said:

Yawn, much to do about nothing.

Well yeah; now that I've read Randall's reply and realize that IRS hardly bothers with it, it is yawnable.  However, it could have been serious because it would be just like them to screw it up, send you a notice stating you can't efile until the number's verified as renewed, but no problem since it will be fixed no later than May 1st.

• Sad 1

I am special too.  Renewed 3 days ago.  But then, I got my PTIN when it was first implemented to protect the tax preparer from identity theft (we used to have to put our SSN on the bottom of the tax return).  

Somehow, a program designed to protect tax preparers SSN has become a tool of discipline for the IRS, since they can take it from you and along with the number, your ability to practice tax preparation.  You cannot efile without a PTIN, and efile is a requirement to practice.

OK, rant over.

Tom
Modesto, CA

• Like 6

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:15 PM, BLACK BART said:

Well yeah; now that I've read Randall's reply and realize that IRS hardly bothers with it, it is yawnable.  However, it could have been serious because it would be just like them to screw it up, send you a notice stating you can't efile until the number's verified as renewed, but no problem since it will be fixed no later than May 1st.

I agree Bart. I don't want to chance it.  I think I got messed up last year when they dropped the fee.  I guess I thought I didn't need to register each year.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:51 AM, BulldogTom said:

...(we used to have to put our SSN on the bottom of the tax return)...

That's one good thing that came out of the PTIN mess.   Before that a client paid me with a third-party check that bounced; then stole my SSN off his return copy and opened two rent house accounts under my name in a nearby town.  Six months later the power company called demanding payment of my long past due electric bills.

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:25 PM, SaraEA said:

...devastated...wasn't considered special enough...invite to renew early...passed the EA exam in one shot...renew...faithfully...take all the required CPE...have never gotten a letter...nice to IRS auditors...defend the agency...a model, exemplary, legacy PTIN holder and tax professional....

...unfairly overlooked?...Sour grapes?

No, no...you're being much too hard on yourself.  Granted, no one could ask that you do more, but see, you just need a little adjustment to your outlook on such things.  I, for instance, subscribe to the view of the late Groucho Marx who famously remarked "I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would be willing to have someone like me as a member!" :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

I got my PTIN in 1999, as soon as I heard about it. Not having my Social Security number on thousands of tax returns is a no brainer.

Me too.  I've never seen one lower than mine,  only last 5 digits beginning with a 5.  Easy to remember.  Also makes me feel old.

• Haha 1

I reverse the numbers on return for 3rd party designee PIN so I don't fumble while on phone with an agent.   Don't want to waste their time, although they have nothing else to do, and I do like to chat.  One time in speaking with a rep I found out she was related to my manager at one of my first jobs. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1