ATX Community

PTIN RENEWAL

BLACK BART

4 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

That makes us double 0s. Name's Normal. Abby Normal. 🍹 I like my umbrella drinks shaken, not stirred.

I'll call you both and join the club. Mine is also 6 digits with two leading 00s and then starts with a ''7".  Extra olive in the martini, please.   😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Catherine said:

Laphroig Lore

I had to google that! More of a rum guy myself, but I like a hot toddy in the winter, especially if I have a cold or sore throat.

Bought a bottle of Dr. Stoner's hemp based whiskey recently and love that. Also picked up a Cold River whiskey from a small distiller near Freeport, Maine when I was there a few weeks ago, along with a blueberry vodka. Both are delicious and smooth.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

I had to google that! More of a rum guy myself, but I like a hot toddy in the winter, especially if I have a cold or sore throat.

Bought a bottle of Dr. Stoner's hemp based whiskey recently and love that. Also picked up a Cold River whiskey from a small distiller near Freeport, Maine when I was there a few weeks ago, along with a blueberry vodka. Both are delicious and smooth.

There's an interesting story about the Cold River distillery.  Their vodka is very popular in these parts (pricey but worth it) and a friend of mine became a salesman for them.  He said the distillery was started by 4 neuro surgeons from Maine Medical Center who went in partners with a potato farmer and started making vodka.  The Blueberry is my favorite and only able to find it in one liquor store.  Blueberry vodka,, great way to enjoy your vitamins and anti oxidants. 

• Like 4

This thread got me wondering if I kept my original PTIN application.  Haven't located it yet, but I did find a folder with my original CAF number assignment.  It was dated Dec 6, 1982.  I still have the 2-part form printed on continuous-form paper (holes & perforation on both sides), unburst, with the carbon paper intact. Talk about a pack rat....

• Like 3

Couldn't leave this alone, so it occurred to me to look at an old file I keep for a family member.  Turns out that until 1998, the only number the preparer could enter on the 1040 was the SSAN.  The first year the 1040 made a provision for "SSAN or PIN" in the jurat was 1999, and I began using my PTIN in that initial year.  So I suppose the earliest any of us could have obtained a PTIN was late 1998 or early 1999.

This also means that for any of us who prepared a tax return in 1998 or before, every time someone threw out old tax records without shredding them, there's been a potential identity theft issue for them and for us lurking in their garbage dump.

• Like 6

I was assigned a CAF and never received the # or mailing but knew that I was assigned one and handled the case successfully. When I realized I didn't have the # to put on subsequent POAs, the owner of the firm wrote directly to a specific person at the Maine IRS office and received a handwritten note back on what looks like a memo pad of ~ 5x8" with IRS letterhead (form 5260 - Quick Note) and attached to a duplicate of the printout with the tractor fed edges. I googled and it looks like this form is still in use for quick, one-page handwritten memos.  Anyone else ever receive one of these?

What is also strange is that it's a typical CAF of nine digits in the format xxxx-xxxxx followed by the letter 'R' that the computer systems don't need now. Anyone else have letters after theirs, and is this typical?

Edited by jklcpa
fixed typo
  • Like 4

My original CAF# (1982) was that same nine-digit format, followed by an R.  Due to a mix-up on an address change, I was assigned a different on in 1989, also followed by an R.  Then in 1991 I was issued a third one (for unexplained reasons), also followed by an R.  So I've always assumed all CAF numbers had R at the end.  After a few more mix ups, I was eventually told to use the 1991 number from that point forward. 

In the process of looking through all that paperwork, I also found a couple of sets of clear plastic overlay sheets I used for many years to drop this information onto a photocopy of Form 8821 after I'd type the client info onto the form with a typewriter.  Talk about a walk down memory lane...

• Like 4