ATX Community

What would you do?

ILLMAS

It's so hard to comprehend 1.6 Billion.  That's a crazy number.  At one point last night the news indicated that 25% of combinations had yet to be played.  How is that possible??  With all the states that play and all the individuals buying tickets, how can 25% still not have been played.  Amazing. 

Anyway, it was nice to dream for a bit.  Now any lottery that doesn't hit a billion will seem small.  🙂

• Like 4

I was informed this morning that I'm not allowed to retire yet. Guess I'll go beg for my job back.

A Contract Implied in Fact is how you avoid double taxation of lottery winnings on gifts and would work for charitable giving if you wanted to use it that way. You effectively after the fact set up a contract explicitly outlining what was previously an "implied" agreement. You basically set up a ticket buying pool retroactively where each person is assigned a percentage of the total winnings and is responsible for their share of the liabilities (taxes).

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Richcpaman said:

Well..

I have already hit the lottery.  I am an American, CPA, and married to a wonderful woman.

Having a ticket worth 1 million or a billion is just a bonus.

Rich

Well said, Rich!  I have also won the lottery.  I am an American, EA, married to a wonderful man.  I have two amazing and wonderful grown daughters, one of whom is engaged to be married to a very nice young man who almost deserves her.  I have friends, a good church (some overlap there), and know that my life has purpose and meaning.  Oh, yeah - I also have enough money to take care of myself and my family, with some for good causes, too.

I am wealthy beyond the wildest dreams of my childhood, in everything that truly matters. 

• Like 8

On 10/23/2018 at 4:34 PM, Catherine said:

Which reminds me -  @Eric is there a way to set up recurring donations to the forum?

I had considered adding the feature. From the development angle, it's the kind of thing I'd have fun building.  I'm a big fan of automating tedious/repetitive/boring tasks, or just things I would tend to forget.  And from a user perspective, it's something I would take advantage of too.

But I don't know how I would communicate the addition of the feature without making it sound like I'm asking for money.  So the anxiety of that situation is the reason I haven't added anything like that.  I think I will now, and blame @Catherine for its implementation 😄

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 2:29 PM, Richcpaman said:

...My Wife would start a Horse Rescue operation...  .

This reminded me of a funny occurrence:  My late niece was a true, dedicated animal lover and as a kid brought home every stray cat, dog, and critter anywhere found.  Her mom was horrified once when she showed up with a pig who promptly blew its foamy nostrils on mom's dress shoes.  She later became a free-lance computer programmer, made quite a bit of money, got married, bought a 40-acre ranch in Texas, and promptly began filling it up with livestock.  At one time she had approximately fifty animals there: horses, cows, donkeys, goats, pigs, chickens, cats, dogs, sheep, turkeys, ducks and Heaven knows what else.  The inventory grew since the farmhouse across the road had burned down a few years previously - the owner, another pet-lover known to take in all strays, left and never came back.  But people remembered the area and began leaving their unwanted animals on the road there near her house and she collected them all.

Anyway the funny part was this - she said feed prices became very high one year and horses especially were increasingly being abandoned because many people couldn't afford to feed them anymore.  She and her husband, returning from a show with horses in a trailer, stopped at the house and dropped off the horses, but didn't unhook the empty trailer and went on to a nearby national park where they went hiking.  Returning later that afternoon, they were astounded to find two live horses now inside their horse trailer.  They took them home and cared for them, so I guess that would qualify as a true "Horse Rescue" operation. :P

• Haha 1

It's a sad fact that starting with the last economic crash, people are once again abandoning horses because they can't afford their care. I owned horses for many years and still follow friends and pages on social media and read current stories of how people at shows will occassionally find a stranger's horse tied to their trailer. It's said that these folks will look for a nice trailer with people that appear to be well-off in hopes that their beloved animal will be taken  and cared for because the rescues are full and rehoming or selling can be very difficult. :(

• Like 1

A farmer friend of ours, has about 20-30 acres that has some woods, a creek and pasture.  He will allow folks to drop off an elderly horse to just hang out till it passes away.  His own little private rescue operation.  When they pass away, he buries them on the property.  He doesn't own a horse for himself, or as even a horse trailer.  He just likes to have them around.

Its a gentle send off for many of them, and more humane then "hoping" someone else will take care of them if you tie them up to your trailer...

Rich 

• Like 2