ATX Community

Timely filing re: rejected returns (moved from another topic)

Pacun

I love when clients wait until the extension deadline to give you crucial info.

Moderator note - this topic contains the posts related to timely filing of e-filed returns that were originally all posted in another topic that had significantly derailed from its original subject.

Edited by jklcpa
added note for creation of topic
  • Like 4

43 minutes ago, JohnH said:

Some clients think there's time left.  After all, they still have the weekend to get things together since the deadline isn't until Monday...

These are the ones we love.  We're thinking "two more days," and they're thinking "five more days, six if she works till midnight Monday."  Uh, no.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, RitaB said:

These are the ones we love.  We're thinking "two more days," and they're thinking "five more days, six if she works till midnight Monday."  Uh, no.

You can get 5 more days forcing the return to be rejected on the last day. I usually change the 2nd letter of the taxpayer's last name (Smith > Snith).

https://support.cch.com/kb/solution.aspx/sw18051

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Abby Normal said:

You can get 5 more days forcing the return to be rejected on the last day. I usually change the 2nd letter of the taxpayer's last name (Smith > Snith).

19 minutes ago, grandmabee said:

Really, you do this or am I just too tired to see the joke in this post?

It will work...

• Like 1

On 10/11/2018 at 2:56 PM, Abby Normal said:

I've done it before with zero problems. I just tell clients that the IRS provides a way for us to get 5 more days, and it just adds to wizard persona. 😵

The IRS allows 10 days to perfect a return and 5 for an extension.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/11/2018 at 2:56 PM, Abby Normal said:

I've done it before with zero problems. I just tell clients that the IRS provides a way for us to get 5 more days, and it just adds to wizard persona. 😵

Have also done that but keep low key about it with clients.  If IRS catches on could be an issue with filing an incorrect and incomplete tax return.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

But is it filed, if it's rejected?

How about form 8879? I am really not that concerned about it, but if it becomes a common practice maybe IRS will look into the massive wave of rejects that occurs  every year on October 15.

By the way, if we happen to become cell mates, I get the top bunk.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

But is it filed, if it's rejected?

Yes, it is.  Please see the bold statement from this IRS page under the heading "Submitting a Timely Filed Return":

Submitting a Timely Filed Electronic Tax Return

All prescribed due dates for filing of returns apply to e-file returns. All Providers must ensure that returns are promptly processed. However, a Provider that receives a return for electronic filing on or before the due date of the return must ensure that it transmits the electronic portion of the return on or before the due date (including extensions). An electronically filed return is not considered filed until the IRS acknowledges acceptance of the electronic portion of the tax return for processing. The IRS accepts individual income tax returns electronically only if the taxpayer signs the return using a Personal Identification Number (PIN). If Providers transmit the electronic portion of a return on or shortly before the due date and the IRS ultimately rejects it, but the Provider and the taxpayer comply with the requirements for timely resubmission of a correct return, the IRS considers the return timely filed. For additional information about the filing of a return through IRS e-file, see "Submitting the Electronic Return to the IRS".

• Like 1

Just now, Abby Normal said:

This says no it isn't filed.

I didn't read the link yet, was typing this. Yes, it depends on if the preparer rectifies the errors and receives the acceptance within the 5 days perfection period, then the return is timely filed. That's why I bolded my original quote.  If not, then no acceptance.  

It's the typical answer to many tax questions:   IT DEPENDS!   😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/11/2018 at 9:09 PM, SaraEA said:

The really late season filers are the most disorganized and are still feeding you missing info up to the last second.  April 15 wasn't good enough, so if you tell them they have until Oct 15 they will wait until then.  If you give them five more days, that's how long it will take them.  They are the same people shopping on Christmas Eve I'm sure.  You have to draw a line somewhere, and I would never ever allow them five more days.  I have places to go and things to do, thank you.  Like Abby, I had a client whose return was finished on Tuesday who told me today to reduce some of those business expenses (must have had a guilty conscience).

I quoted SaraEA to separate her post from the 11th since this part pertained to filing of returns and the other paragraph needed to stay in the topic related to allocating a % of purchase cost to land.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2018 at 7:46 AM, Abby Normal said:

It varies, actually (and quite stupidly):

Yes, "quite stupidly"  Why do corps get 10 days to refile and 1040, and 1041 only 5?

I actually had one this year where one of the dependents names didn't match, even though I had a copy  of the SS card.  There were four names on the card, so I tried various combinations, of first and last names, but nothing matched.  The client ended up mailing it in.

BTW, thanks for the link. That is a handy chart.

• Like 2