ATX Community

OT: heart valve surgery

cred65

I underwent heart valve surgery TAVR/I at Christ Hospital in Cinti, OH on 10/15/18 and was released on 10/16/18, total 28 hours.  The actual procedure was app. 1 hour during which I was awake, but the recovery was a bit more trying and during days 2 & 3 where I was very weak and had no appetite.  On days 5-7 (Fri-Sun) I was able the do a very light workout at the Y at about 1/3 throttle.  The hospital has grounded me for 2 weeks but I will get a chance to appeal this next Tue.

“This minimally invasive surgical procedure repairs the valve without removing the old, damaged valve. Instead, it wedges a replacement valve into the aortic valve's place. The surgery may be called a transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) or transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI).”  The 2 entry’s are in the groin area.

I am in a clinical trial sponsored by Edwards Lifescience SAPIEN 3 valve, and monitored by Lindner Research Center on campus at Christ for 5 years.

If you are interested in viewing this gory procedure be my guest (3 min): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f20qrZcD1LE

PS This is NOT a GoFundMe Request

• Like 7

Get well fast - but take it easy.  I have had plenty of experience with stents and various operations (non-heart).  The body needs time to recover from the drugs they put into you and, in your case to adapt, to a foreign object in the most critical part of your body.   Pushing it could bring on unwanted side effects.  Better safe than sorry.  

• Like 4

Wow!  Had I known, I could have visited you!  All good advice here - don't rush into recovery.  Follow orders at least until your appeal which I sort of hope you lose.  I guess this is your first procedure but not that of the surgical team.  We all know you to be a superman, but take time to heal and enjoy some down time.  Before you know it, all the regular stresses will be upon you so best you prepare by allowing for good recovery. 

• Like 3

The sobering thought that comes when we hear of someone having a difficult operation is that it reminds us of our own mortality.  All respondents have wished you well, and it goes without saying that I do as well.

Remember that you (the patient) is more accurately diagnostic than your doctors, and don't hesitate to remind them when their assumptions are going awry.  Although I'm hopeful you are receiving the best possible care, the medical system has various ways for things to fall through the cracks, and have isolated themselves from the fallout.  In many ways, even though your doctors are more knowledgeable, you are your own best resource.