ATX Community

Multiple names, one member log in

Edsel

Moderator note - first 5 posts here were moved from another topic that was being derailed.

23 hours ago, RitaB said:

Hi, LaVergne, welcome to the Board!

Rita, LaVergne is simply Edsel on a client's computer.  In order to post, you have to register, and the IP address of the computer in use will not allow a duplication of another name.  Apologize if you were misled, there was no attempt to "hide" my identity.  I think you know I would not hide behind a tree to post, even for unpopular subjects.  The client's computer is in LaVergne, Tennessee.  My engagement at this client will last until January when a full-time person will take over.  Thus posts from "LaVergne" will be few and not last very long.

Edited by jklcpa
added mod note of explanation
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Angry 1

38 minutes ago, Edsel said:

Rita, LaVergne is simply Edsel on a client's computer.  In order to post, you have to register, and the IP address of the computer in use will not allow a duplication of another name.  Apologize if you were misled, there was no attempt to "hide" my identity.  I think you know I would not hide behind a tree to post, even for unpopular subjects.  The client's computer is in LaVergne, Tennessee.  My engagement at this client will last until January when a full-time person will take over.  Thus posts from "LaVergne" will be few and not last very long.

No, all you have to do on any other computer or device is to log in using your existing username and password. There is absolutely NO NEED to set up any other username to access this forum.

Edited by jklcpa
fixed misspelled word/missing letter
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, jklcpa said:

No, all you have to do on any other computer or device is to log in using your exiting username and password.

First forum of this kind where I've found this to be true.  A good idea, too - keeps from needless proliferation of names.  Helpful post - hope others read it.  "LaVergne" may die a premature death...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Edsel said:

First forum of this kind where I've found this to be true.  A good idea, too - keeps from needless proliferation of names.  Helpful post - hope others read it.  "LaVergne" may die a premature death...

Um, also not true. A username and password will allow access to wherever you want to log in to, but you need to make sure that you trust the computer and network it is on to have that information stored in its cookies. 

By the way, I strongly suspected this was you just by the way your post was worded before I ever checked the profile. There's more information that Eric and I can see than the general membership has access to. 

Buh bye LaVergne. 

• Like 2

I have a lovely friend who is not so computer savvy. She forgot her facebook password so she started another account. Eventually she recovered her old account's password but she apparently uses both accounts (one on her computer and one on her phone, I imagine). She often ends up liking my posts twice.

The icing on the cake is that her profile pic on the new account is rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise. I almost posted her to https://old.reddit.com/r/oldpeoplefacebook/  but, like I said, she's a lovely friend.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Abby, why aren't either of your links working? They both come right back around to this topic on here.  🙄  Cut and paste of the address into the address bar works, so that is odd that the link itself doesn't.

I used the same web address that Abby provided and this works:   LINK

Abby, is your linked site mostly questions from professionals or from the public with answers by pros? I ask because I noticed another one referred over at the right of that page for pros with the addition to the link  "/r/taxpros" that has a different format.  Which is it that you moderate?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1