ATX Community

N/T-Block or not, ignore, skim, eye rolls, bless yer hearts & more!

jklcpa

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 3:38 AM, Evan S. Golar said:

Thank you Judy for posting something that was necessary to be said.  Some discipline from a few members would make this group more professional.

Certain members who post here absolutely turn me off the to point where I don't even enjoy reading the posts because they  have become more political and social rather than educational and professional.

I came to this board because a member who occasionally posts here provided this site on a professional association chat board and was looking to find another group from which to learn from - even though I don't use the specific software that brought the group together.

Evan,

There is a setting on the board that allows you to ignore posts from people you don't like.   I have used it on 2 people, one who is no longer active on the board and one who is.    I don't even see that person's posts unless someone quotes them in a reply post.   It has made my life immensely happier on this board.   Some people, no matter what they post, just rub you the wrong way.  I suggest you use that feature, even if it means you don't like me and never see my posts again.   It is one of the best features Eric has put on this board.

Tom
Modesto, CA

• Like 7

That is a handy feature.  I don't use it with anyone on this forum since I'm fairly thick-skinned anyhow.  But several years ago I found myself in constant conflict with someone on another forum.  Not sure what it was, but something about our personalities just clashed - they didn't care for me and I didn't care for them.  It happens.   So I blocked them and that was the end of it.  

I think it was good for both of us, since neither of us needed to waste our time tossing insults at one another.  I decided it's better to save that stuff for Facebook, where you can really be confident that you'll change some minds.  :)

• Haha 8

I know of the feature - but quite frankly, there are people on the board and off the board (and formerly on the board) with whom I did NOT get along, but from whom I learned a LOT.  There's a woman in our local group.  I detest her (and won't bother to go in to the reasons, just assume the list is LONG) and actively try to avoid sitting anywhere near her if we're at the same meeting.  But boy, oh boy, have I learned a lot from her over the years.  Her ability to cite tax court cases to support positions, off the top of her head, is remarkable.  (It's a real shame she's such a disgusting piece of humanity... but I digress.)  I don't believe, that if you asked her, she has ANY idea of my low opinion of her.  She *might* think I'm not very friendly.

Think real hard about responding to someone who rubs you wrong, or blocking them.  Make sure it's really worth it.  It's also completely possible to get three words into a post and say to yourself, "Nope; not this one, ain't reading it" and move on.

Edited by Catherine
forgot a point
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

I agree with Rita mostly.  There are people on here whose posts I sometimes ignore (or gloss over really quickly).  But there is no one on here who has annoyed me to the point that I have blocked them (yet.)  And it is the personality of the people on this board that keep me coming back - especially during the off season.  Kind of nice to know the block feature is there if I really need it.  Now if only there were a feature to bring back some of the posters who left that I really enjoyed.  Of course, some of them may have moved where there is no internet. 

• Like 5

I tried blocking in the past and found it annoying and was still tempted to unhide and look at the posts anyway.

I know some people have me blocked, but I still try to help them and like everyone anyway.  It's amusing to see how long that blocking person will wait to respond when mine is sometimes the only answer. It's also very obvious when I post an exact correct answer and a member who has me blocked will follow up in the very next post with the same thing, and I'm not talking about when people are typing and posting at the same time either.

More people would probably like it better if I posted less and stayed in the background to moderate. Less of that too, I'm sure.

• Like 4