ATX Community

Little things going right, right now!

TaxCPANY

At the Chicago Nationwide Tax Forum I complained that the message on the Practitioner Priority Line had been reciting "new" changes since January 16, 2014.
The message has changed at last!  I'm so relieved right now that I'm not minding the quarter hour I've been waiting to reach someone.
P.S.  Aren't headsets great for allowing multi-tasking while on hold?!  (Or is that "time-frittering while on hold"?)

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, FDNY said:

I miss the muzak they used to play,   it was something from the Nutcracker Suite.

I liked the music too but every time I was getting in to  the music they would interrupt to tell me my call was important and that if I hung up and called back it would increase my wait time.  I knew that.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, TaxCPANY said:

At the Chicago Nationwide Tax Forum I complained that the message on the Practitioner Priority Line had been reciting "new" changes since January 16, 2014.
The message has changed at last!  I'm so relieved right now that I'm not minding the quarter hour I've been waiting to reach someone.
P.S.  Aren't headsets great for allowing multi-tasking while on hold?!  (Or is that "time-frittering while on hold"?)

I was there, what a fun seminar.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Gail in Virginia said:

they would interrupt to tell me my call was important

I *hate* that!  If I can hear the muzak, I know you have NOT hung up on me.  Shut your trap; leave the muzak playing.  If I'm half-listening and I hear a voice I think my call is being answered when it's NOT.  Don't.  Just don't.  Let the first voice be the person answering.  And make them give their name and number at normal voice speed, rather than lightning-fast!

Rant over.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Catherine said:

I *hate* that!  If I can hear the muzak, I know you have NOT hung up on me.  Shut your trap; leave the muzak playing.  If I'm half-listening and I hear a voice I think my call is being answered when it's NOT.  Don't.  Just don't.  Let the first voice be the person answering.  And make them give their name and number at normal voice speed, rather than lightning-fast!

Rant over.

And don't get pissy with me what I ask you to repeat your name, IRS Number and then for your service center...

Rich

• Like 7

17 hours ago, FDNY said:

I miss the muzak they used to play,   it was something from the Nutcracker Suite.

Lordy, I do not miss that. I like those songs and IRS ruined them for me. I always thought it was someone with a sense of humor that selected 'nutcracker' songs for the IRS. 😁

They need some meditation songs like they play during a massage to soothe the caller so they're less irate for being on hold for so long.

I just put it on speaker phone and go about working with background music. Once I took the handheld into the restroom with me.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I was listening to the Nutcracker Suite (Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies?) on hold with the IRS. The phone clicked and then went back to the music, so I was afraid someone had picked up and then left, leaving me at the end of the line again or even in IRS limbo. So, I picked up my house phone (home office with my own office line, but house phone is at the back of my desk for convenience) and dialed in on the second phone. Now, with a phone in each hand on speaker playing loudly and not together, I danced (I can't dance) through the house to get another cup of tea. I forgot I'd left the storm door open for a client due a bit later, and danced through the entryway to the surprise of the UPS man on the other side of the glass door and my mortification!

• Haha 7

4 hours ago, Lion EA said:

danced through the entryway to the surprise of the UPS man on the other side of the glass door

Ah, but NOW you can say, "I've made a fool of myself in a better place than this, and lived to tell the tale!"

My mortification tale is from college.  I had stayed up late working on a problem set.  Had an 8AM, small, class - with a teacher whose voice was a good match for Charlton Heston; a deep monotone.  Sat in the front row (the only one) figuring shame, if nothing else, would keep me awake.  Fought and fought and fought to stay awake, and just as I went under,  I heard the monotone state, "I see we've lost the front row..." and I had just enough time to think "oh, poopy!" (not that word) before I was out for good.  Great story now; utter humiliation at the time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4