ATX Community

Windows 8

Christian

I note ATX is recommending Widows 8 as it has an encryption file unavailable on my current Windows 7. I have a 64 bit machine and would like to know if any of you upgraded with a 64 bit computer and had problems as I may do so. Th argument can be made I should move on to Windows 10 but I am no tech whiz and fumbling with a conversion just before tax season and the coming release of ATX 2019 is definitely not in the cards.

I upgraded to Windows 8 in December 2012 and it's been a very positive experience. Like you, I'm not touching 10 until I'm absolutely forced to. Not a week goes by that I don't see an article or two reporting on windows 10 troubles. And Windows 8 will get you more used to a Windows 10 like interface.

Do you know which generation processor you have? Newer processors won't allow you to update either 8 or 7. I just had to replace a motherboard and had to make sure we got an older processor, and that limited our motherboard choices.

• Like 1

I've had Win 10 for a year and haven't experienced any problems.  I'm not a computer guru, but I personally would go with the latest (W10).  Whatever you do, DO NOT upgrade your existing computer.  Buy a new computer with W8 or W10 but I would go with W10.  Abby, I don't think W8 gets you oriented to W10 that much.

If you upgrade to Windows 10, you can download a freeware program called Classic Shell that makes it feel just like Windows 7. It's hard to tell a difference.

64 bit was an issue the first year because a lot of software wasn't really compatible - everything is 64 bit these days. Sort of shocked you can still run a lot of stuff.

I've had zero problems with Win 10 that a basic internet search couldn't fix or wouldn't have been a problem with Win 8. I find it far better

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input. If I make the change I will likely wait until after April 15th next year. With all the ballyhoo about security an encryption file is probably a good idea going forward. I have had no problems as I maintain virus and malware security in place at all times and run one or the other on shutting down my system. Unless in use I do not leave the system running.

• Like 1