ATX Community

any fast way to get a POA to process?

schirallicpa

The fastest way I know is to have it in hand and call the agent or number listed on whatever notice with the issue.  The agent will have a fax number s/he can access to talk with you immediately.  It then follows regular processing but at least you could begin a conversation.

Typically when I need it and use this method I promise myself to get a POA for every client some number of years but never get around to it.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, schirallicpa said:

is slower than ever getting POA's processed

Yes indeed.  I have learned that sending them in by fax is highly dependent on WHEN.  Sending them after hours or over the weekends is useless; the machines run out of paper, memory, or both.  Likewise, before 10 or 11AM on Monday or post-holiday - they haven't been re-loaded with paper yet.  11AM or later, and before 4PM, on weekdays that are not holidays.  And just hope your fax re-dials often enough to get through the busy signals.  Sigh.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Catherine said:

Yes indeed.  I have learned that sending them in by fax is highly dependent on WHEN.  Sending them after hours or over the weekends is useless; the machines run out of paper, memory, or both.  Likewise, before 10 or 11AM on Monday or post-holiday - they haven't been re-loaded with paper yet.  11AM or later, and before 4PM, on weekdays that are not holidays.  And just hope your fax re-dials often enough to get through the busy signals.  Sigh.

I don't think the IRS uses paper for most faxes anymore.  They use Efax and that goes right into a computer as an email. When I'm talking to PPL , they sometimes ask me what my area code is, because that is what you see when a transmission has arrived.    There are times when a fax doesn't go through.  When this happens, they can provide an alternate number.  That one is probably a paper machine they keep for a backup.  

I always ask to have the 2848 forwarded to the CAF unit and they only have to press a button to do that.  Most of the time they do it without asking, but I just want to make sure.

I suspect that the delays in  posting is a  shortage of manpower.  There are times the  POA gets posted in 5 days and other time 2 weeks.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Roberts said:

Off topic but when you do the checkbox as the signed preparer and authorization to speak to the IRS about that particular return - that time period should last 3 years instead of 1.

I have found that without a POA, the signed preparer & authorization to speak worthless at the IRS.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 1