ATX Community

ATX main computer and laptop

Margaret CPA in OH

For the first time in 20 years, I am considering taking my laptop to 2 quite elderly and fragile clients who can no longer make it up my stairs.  I seem to recall that I can have up to 3 users (computers?) per license but don't know how to install on a laptop, too.  I have downloaded the software and watched the install video but am not sure what to do to get it on the laptop.  Any advice is welcome.  Thanks!

If you have ATX networked on your laptop, you cannot use it as a stand alone.  The program will only install one way, or the other. (Standalone or networked)

If you setup your laptop as a standalone, you will not be able to roll over, or have any access to the 2016 information.  Then you will have to export from the laptop, and import it into your main computer in your office for printing etc.

Not nearly as simple as the install video makes it seem.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lynn EA USTCP in Louisiana said:

Margaret, I would go to the homes of my two elderly home bound clients , pick up their info, take it back to my office, prepare the returns, then deliver back to the client In a week or so. My ATX is stand alone too. 

AGREE!!!  Your clients will appreciate the special treatment.

• Like 2

I send my semi-retired hubby to make the return trip. He knows nothing about taxes, but knows where to get signatures with my flags. Perhaps you can find someone who works inexpensively to deliver the tax folders and get the signatures. You could even use the same person to do your pick-ups, and then you deal via telephone.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Margaret CPA in OH said:

Guess that's what I will have to do to keep them.  Then make the second trip to review and sign 8879.  I charge by time, though, so that won't go over really well, I suspect.  We shall see what happens. 

I have several elderly in this same situation that I visit at their homes, lifelong friends too so I am willing to help in this way.  They have adult children that drop off or send scanned documents, ask my questions by telephone, and then I make one trip for delivery of the product and getting the e-file authorizations signed.  It gives me a little break out of the office to deliver, and I try to combine the trip with something else to lessen the burden of being out of the office just for them. 

• Like 4

I have the same situation.  Not networked, but one installation on my desktop and two on laptops.  I used the installation code that they gave me and installed on the laptop quite easily.  At first, I was locked out of my account.  It has always been my preference not to network.  My assistant works on the stand alone laptop; saves her work to a jump drive and I can then import her work into my desktop and finish and file it.  Works great!

• Like 3

On 11/19/2018 at 2:22 PM, Jack from Ohio said:

If you have ATX networked on your laptop, you cannot use it as a stand alone.  The program will only install one way, or the other. (Standalone or networked)

If you setup your laptop as a standalone, you will not be able to roll over, or have any access to the 2016 information.  Then you will have to export from the laptop, and import it into your main computer in your office for printing etc.

Not nearly as simple as the install video makes it seem.

Jack, as you know, I am not networked.  Have no issues with rollovers on the laptop.  The main thing is that she exports to the jump drive and I import it into my desktop.  That is my preference as she is not and probably never will be able to take a return from beginning to end.  Has been working well for 3 years now.  Her data entry is quite precise and seldom do I have to fix anything.  Again, two heads are better than one.  

• Like 2