ATX Community

Anybody using ATX over a VPN for Multiple Offices?

Richcpaman

11 hours ago, Bart said:

I use QuickBooks  over a VPN.  What problem do you have that makes it blow up?

I do not have a VPN, Yet. 

ATX is very specific about NOT using a VPN to run their software.  I use GoToMyPC right now to talk from the remote office to the main office.

I have been told be others that using QuickBooks over a VPN, meaning that the software is on your computer, but the data is located elsewhere and accessed via the VPN, that it can become unstable, and corrupt the data file.  I do not have any personal experience with this, but have read the stories of others.

Are you using the VPN for Qbooks in this manner regularly?  What year of Qbooks, and then multiple files?

Rich

I do not use QuickBooks over a VPN very often..  I use QuickBooks 2010 - 2018.  I have multiple files since each client has their own data file.  When I use QuickBooks over the VPN I do not run QuickBooks locally and access the data on elsewhere.  I log on to the remote computer and run QuickBooks there.

Are you referring to a setup where one computer has both the application and the data, and you want to operate the application from a different device (remote desktop)?

A setup where more than one computer has the application, and the data resides in a shared location (network)?

Something else?

For remote desktop, which I consider the safest if it can be used, the RD software handles the security and connection, and should have zero effect on the operation of the application, since all you are doing is using the RD software to serve as the input and display, instead of having to be cheeks in seat.  Whether or not either device is using a VPN should not be an issue (other than slightly slower response).  Quality RD software routes data securely, so you do not have to use a VPN for the remove device (I still do).

If you are referring to a situation where two computers have the application, but only one has the data, then anything other than a fast local wired connection will always increase the chances of data corruption due to latency.  Adding VPN on top of the network process can add more latency.

(I am not a network expert, since I stopped using networked computers years ago, because of latency issues... I'd rather have my latency restricted to the RD process.)

I am using remote desktops now.  The problem is you have to have a computer at both ends dedicated to use this way.

The VPN is there to reduce some of this, as you can access different things on the server, etc., in the remote location.

The problem now, is that I will have 4 users on the local office, and 4-5 users in the remote office, which means 13 actual inputs to the server.  I need to have a strong server to do this, and keep the speed bearable.

No one has tried ATX over a VPN, I presume.

I know we have a few customers who install our software on a virtual desktop, but it is not something we design, test, license, or support... How it was noticed the first time was someone who was selling access to their installation for others to use, and they wanted us to create a way to prevent one person from accessing data of another.

On 11/28/2018 at 12:46 PM, Bart said:

I do not use QuickBooks over a VPN very often..  I use QuickBooks 2010 - 2018.  I have multiple files since each client has their own data file.  When I use QuickBooks over the VPN I do not run QuickBooks locally and access the data on elsewhere.  I log on to the remote computer and run QuickBooks there.

That is not a VPN. That is Windows Remote Access. A VPN is a remote drive that just has the data on it. You use QB locally and access the remote drive just like any other drive on your network except it goes over the internet.

• 3 weeks later...

A VPN is not a remote drive. A VPN is a Virtual Private Network. You access a remote drive OVER a VPN. Or, you access a remote desktop environment OVER a VPN to secure your network connection. Accessing ATX or Quickbooks over a VPN by using a remote desktop connection to a terminal server is a good way to keep things secure while allowing remote access.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 4:21 PM, Bubbacav said:

A VPN is not a remote drive. A VPN is a Virtual Private Network. You access a remote drive OVER a VPN. Or, you access a remote desktop environment OVER a VPN to secure your network connection. Accessing ATX or Quickbooks over a VPN by using a remote desktop connection to a terminal server is a good way to keep things secure while allowing remote access.

Bubba:

Are you running ATX or Qbooks over a VPN?  Not just moving a file back and forth, but with a computer with ATX on it in one location, and then operating from the remote computer with out remote desktop software?

Rich