ATX Community

Advanced Server Error Instructions

Abby Normal

Found this on the official board and since I'd never seen it before, I thought I'd share it here.

I don't have these issues so I'm filing this away in my ATX\How To folder.

Have any of you tried this or had support try it for you?

Advanced instructions for the "attempt was made to start the server process..." and "could not connect to the server"

Only attempt if you are tech literate. Use at your own risk. I'm not responsible if your computer gets messed up!

• Open regedit.
  • Navigate to the key “Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\CCH Small Firm Services\ATX\20yy”
  • Change the “Network” string from “0” to “2”.
  • Navigate to “Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CCH Small Firm Services\ATX\20yy”
  • Modify the “NetworkPath” string so that the “localhost” portion (https://localhost:60658/admin/endpoints) is your computer name. Leave everything else the same.
  • Restart the service for 20yy in the Windows services manager.

Obviously, 'yy' is replaced by the year you're working on.

Well, Abby, you may enjoy playing with fire - and you may be experienced enough to handle it.  I've done it myself, on occasion.  But I would NEVER advise someone who hasn't been down in the trenches to attempt it without a full registry backup plus restore point.  A couple extra minutes before diving in, so that you can edit away without fear of permanently mucking up your machine, is very cheap insurance; doubly so for a registry-edit newbie.

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:45 AM, Catherine said:

Oh, jeezel louisel, folks, never, ever, EVER edit your registry directly without having a fresh REGISTRY backup as well as a SYSTEM backup.  That caution in place, it's a powerful tool.

Amen.  I don't know enough to dare to tread in there. 

• Like 1