ATX Community

Useful java script bookmark to unmask info on websites

Abby Normal

I found this script many years ago and use it many times a day to unmask passwords, security question answers, PINs, Social Security numbers, etc. on many websites. It really makes life easier. Some secure sites are able to block it from working sometimes, but it works on a surprising number of sites, including irs.gov.

The script is attached for your download, but I was not able to drag/drop into the latest version of Firefox. I haven't tried it in Chrome. So I'm just editing the script as a text file and copying/pasting into the bookmark. The text is:

javascript:var%20els%20=%20document.getElementsByTagName('input');%20for(var%20x=0;%20x<els.length;%20x++){%20if(els[x].type.toLowerCase()%20==%20'password'%20){%20var%20test%20=%20els[x].type%20=%20'text';}}

Please don't ask me what it all means. I did not write this.

You could save the script in a txt file instead of a js file so you don't have to right-click, and choose edit to open.

The instructions for installing it to FF are:

Add a new bookmark to the bookmarks toolbar. Copy and paste the text into the url field and enter unmask for the name (or whatever you want it to be called).

IE has an unmask eyeball for most or perhaps all masked fields, but it's temporary, and sometimes disappears. This script is persistent, while you're on the page.

In IE I had to favorite a random site and then edit (using properties) the favorite to paste the text into the url field and rename it.

Happy unmasking!

Unmask.js

• Like 1