ATX Community

Printing 2018 Tax Returns

ETax847

In my neck of the woods the more paper the client sees the more likely they are to swallow the increase in cost. I did try duplex printing but wasn't getting the result I wanted. My printer could spit out 2 pages quicker than it could duplex a page. Go figure. It appears about the same amount of toner just more paper. The client doesn't care if its on 92 or 104 brightness.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jack from Ohio said:

I print from the .pdf file

As do we.  We keep pdf's of the client copy and the preparer copy (more notes and worksheets, in Drake), plus efile acks once those are in.  And a pdf of the scanned tax docs.  Those have saved our bacon (client's bacon, too) on occasion.  Audits want docs, client can't find - boom; pdf.  Best one was a lady who needed a copy of her daughter's adoption papers that got lost in a move - we had 'em.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, cbslee said:

I have a Canon that is very fast duplexing, so I will print duoublesided.

My canon sucks at duplexing.   I guess I should not say it sucks, it is just very slow.  It does a good job of printing, but it slows to like 25% of the single sided speed.

Tom
Modesto, CA

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Catherine said:

As do we.  We keep pdf's of the client copy and the preparer copy (more notes and worksheets, in Drake), plus efile acks once those are in.  And a pdf of the scanned tax docs.  Those have saved our bacon (client's bacon, too) on occasion.  Audits want docs, client can't find - boom; pdf.  Best one was a lady who needed a copy of her daughter's adoption papers that got lost in a move - we had 'em.

Ditto

• Like 1

The original duplex printing:

While I never actually saw this done, I once worked with an accountant (now deceased) who told me that, as a young man in the sixties, he had worked for a CPA who required that no one be allowed to tear off a calculator tape.  All calculator rolls were fully expended without being detached, allowed to fall into a cardboard box, turned over, rewound, reinserted, and printed on the other side used until full usage was complete.  :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I hate to be a spoil sport however about 6 years ago I decided that all of my clients who were computer literate would begin receiving an encrypted pdf file instead of a printed hard copy return. At that time only 2 objected and I advised them there would be an additional $100 fee for paper copies as with a pdf file they can print at will.

I now print 3 tax returns per season out of about 130 clients, including business clients.

Think of the savings of time, supplies, and especially the environment.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, BLACK BART said:

While I never actually saw this done, I once worked with an accountant (now deceased) who told me that, as a young man in the sixties, he had worked for a CPA who required that no one be allowed to tear off a calculator tape.  All calculator rolls were fully expended without being detached, allowed to fall into a cardboard box, turned over, rewound, reinserted, and printed on the other side used until full usage was complete.  :unsure:

P.S. The above post is not to imply that those who do duplexing are cheap - we all have our own preferences.  I only print one side per page because I have enough trouble just keeping all the many schedules straight nowadays (probably be much worse this year).  However ATX generates a lot of superfluous worksheets which I don't print because it seems phony to print A to Z worksheets (Block & Jackson do this frequently) to "pad" the return and make customers think they're getting more work for their money (well, sometimes I do if I'm trying to impress the occasional ingrate who rates my work by the pound).

Still, I think many customers prefer to have a paper return in hand which is easily glanced at without making the electronic gizmo translate it.  Seems like just another form of the do-it-yourself kiosk approach which saves vendors time and supplies while adding a little more client inconvenience into the mix (at some point the pixels overwhelm us).

P.P.S.  You're not being a spoil-sport, Mike.  Apparently it works for you, so all's well and good.  As to the environment, you probably are helping -- office paper sales are down, so toilet papers rolls are now one inch shorter. Too, if you've got the nerve to ask a customer $100 for a hard copy, you're a better man than I am.

• Like 4

You know sometimes I have clients that the lender wants to see that paper copy and will accept nothing short. I have an attorney that provides all closings on a cd in pdf format. When I ask can I see a copy they hand me the disk an ask when you find it print me a copy also. So I guess I may need some more paper. BTY I used to do the calculator spin also. Just my 2 Cents worth.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, BLACK BART said:

I actually did work for a gentleman that did that very thing. I was very young and just totally amazed. I also had to jump into the trash bags and stomp down the trash  so that he could get more in. Fortunately, I could wear tennis shoes to jump in the trash.😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Abby Normal said:

I don't know any lenders who prefer a paper copy. I've had lenders call to thank me for giving my clients a PDF of both the return and the records. It saves them a lot of time and gives them everything they need in a high quality format.

I guess things are different here. Our local financial institutions are so security conscious, that they now prefer paper copies.

Back in the summer of 2017, I went with my largest client to meet with a local bank about the renewal of her commercial real estate loan..

I took with me a DVD with copies of 3 tax returns and financial statements. I went to hand it to the senior loan official who recoiled

and asked for paper copies because of their strict security protocols. They also will not accept emails with attached pdfs, encrypted, password protected or unprotected,

due to the security risk. I have returned to mailing tax return copies, because that is the only thing they will accept.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...