ATX Community

EFILE?????

TAXMAN

I have an interesting question. TP came in and signed the efile form 8879 (Have to update the submission #'s but nothing else changes) early December for a 2017 return.(refund less than $150.00) TP said wait until they turn us back on then transmit as tp did not want to mail the return. Now however tp has passed away. SO do I convert the return and prepare it to be mailed or do I transmit it on?(seems this may be a form of stockpiling?) I believe this return has to be mailed just to CYA.

Daughter only child only heir. Will left everything to daughter. Daughter was joint owner of checking account also. I have seen banks deposit these checks as long as not being cashed out. That will be daughter's problem. My concern is whether I can submit return when IRS turns us on.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TAXMAN said:

I have an interesting question. TP came in and signed the efile form 8879 (Have to update the submission #'s but nothing else changes) early December for a 2017 return.(refund less than $150.00) TP said wait until they turn us back on then transmit as tp did not want to mail the return. Now however tp has passed away. SO do I convert the return and prepare it to be mailed or do I transmit it on?(seems this may be a form of stockpiling?) I believe this return has to be mailed just to CYA.

https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/submitting-the-electronic-return-to-the-irs

"Although holding late returns during periods when IRS electronic filing is not available is not stockpiling, providers should mail the returns to the IRS mailing addresses in the form’s instructions."

It's not stockpiling, and I would e-file it.  I don't think SS will have had time to close out the SSN, but you'll find out. 

Finally, I don't think this provider is mailing any returns for her clients, and I'm kind of scratching my head at that one.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RitaB said:

Yes.  See my post above.  I think we are all in agreement that you can e-file the return within three days of the gates opening in this situation.

Many software companies were letting people e-file during the hiatus, and holding them until e-file opened.  It's the same as if you'd done that.

• Like 2