ATX Community

Uptick in Business

ETax847

While not in the prep business, for us, change is what "changes" things here.  Some we lose because they go out of business or find someone to offload to, some take on the work, to not have to pay someone else.

Just today, I had to steer someone from ordering from us, as they thought they could lose their payroll service by finding "software" which could do everything for them (despite no experience, training, or even really reading over their service provided reports).  I don't mind educating, but some simply do not believe there is no magic software which they can feed numbers into, prevents lose nut at the keyboard errors, makes their deposits on time, etc.

Back "in the day", only experts used computers, and some, like us, wrote their own software.  Now anyone can get a computer and software, and believe it is the holy grail.  If that were true, I cold pick up a surgeon's kit..., or buy that perfect race car... Not complaining mind you, just pointing out, as the steward of our software, I have an obligation to be honest if someone clearly is not prepared to use it, even when the money is for my taking.  I see no stewards at Costco next to the bin with tax software...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Medlin Software said:

I don't mind educating, but some simply do not believe there is no magic software which they can feed numbers into, prevents lose nut at the keyboard errors, makes their deposits on time, etc.

One of the best quotes I ever heard was at a training session for an accounting software we used at the company.   The operations Manager started asking if the software could do this and that and all kinds of things.   The trainer replied "There is no PFM button on the keyboard"   We all looked a little perplexed until he explained "PFM = pure frikkin magic".

I use that line all the time now.

Tom
Modesto, CA

• Like 1
  • Haha 1